Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does air vent = air valve = air eliminator?

Options
Is there any technical difference between an air vent you put at the end of the main and an air valve you put on a radiator, other than the amount of air they are designed to vent (and possibly a different size threaded fitting)?

I only ask because companies like Gorton name them differently. In our system the two main vents are tapped 1/8". The Hoffman #41 that had been there for many years was clogged solid, we replaced with a Gorton D (much larger air opening, although less than a Gorton "air eliminator").

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    davidnyc said:

Is there any technical difference between an air vent you put at the end of the main and an air valve you put on a radiator, other than the amount of air they are designed to vent (and possibly a different size threaded fitting)?

I only ask because companies like Gorton name them differently. In our system the two main vents are tapped 1/8". The Hoffman #41 that had been there for many years was clogged solid, we replaced with a Gorton D (much larger air opening, although less than a Gorton "air eliminator").

A Gorton D vents the same as a Gorton #1 main vent.

Main vents typically have a 1/2" or 3/4" connection.
    1/8" is usually a radiator vent.

Other than that I think they are the same internally, other than the amount of air they can vent.

You will probably need additionally venting than that Gorton D you installed unless you have a 10' long 1" main.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,677
    Options
    As far as I know all Gorton's are called "Air Elminators".

As was said a Gorton D is the same as a Gorton 1 except for it's connection style.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment