Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NYC Hot Water Heater - Flex Pipe OK?

BrooklynBrownstoner
BrooklynBrownstoner Member Posts: 5
edited December 2014 in Domestic Hot Water
Installing a 15,000 btu replacement gas hot water heater in a 1 family building in NYC. The old installation uses rigid water and gas connections. Can I replace these with flex connections? Would make the job much easier for me and for later replacement.

Same make/model as old unit. Same dimensions.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I don't have a clue weather it is legal or not in your locale but I would pipe it in copper and if future replacement is an issue just use ball valves and unions on the piping.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Flexible water and vent connectors/pipe are not compliant under NYC Code.

John Cataneo, NYC Licensed Master Plumber #1784
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    I think that in California, they are required because of earthquakes. But you have to strap the water heater.

In Florida, they've forgotten how to direct pipe/connect water heaters. Stainless Steel direct connects on water heaters is what you see. An inspector might be troubled if he/she saw a piped water heater. Especially if done in Type "L" Copper. Type "M" (Red) is the norm and even when underground. Or so I've seen some "Pro's" around here.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    In all honesty and no offence intended if you are wotking in an 8 family apt and asking that question I take it you dont have a NYC licence.How is your insurance.Ask JohnNY how hard it is to obtain the lic and everything that goes with it.In the city at least for the company I worked for we never did work for the sake of making it easier.Be careful with what you do.Again no offense intended.
  • hatchet
    hatchet Member Posts: 10
    anything other than a owner occupied single family home requires a license to do plumbing & electrical work. Also, even when work other than this takes place you still need a contractor registration. Please, don't put yourself or your tenants lives at risk & hire a licensed plumber.
    Also, the flex connectors are not code in NY.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    What gas water heater is "15,000 btu"?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Wonder how he made out?