Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

got my Lochinvar whn85 today, found out it was built in 2011

maybemark
maybemark Member Posts: 1,131
I recieved my whn85 today. The box looked like it was sitting in a warehouse a very long time. i decided to call up Lochinvar, I gave them the serial number, and found out that unit was built in 2011
I called up the place i purchased it from, they were very nice and understanding.
Asked me, do i want a new one, or some money back for it being new old stock.
I didn't know what to say, told i would get back to him.
I would like to get feedback from you guys. What would you do? How would you feel?
Does anyone know if there has been any changes from 2011 till now on the whn85?
thanks
Mark

Comments

• Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    They use to come with a side wall termination in the boiler crate, now you have to buy them separately.

I can't think of any other changes off the top of my head...
  • maybemark
    eric
    thanks for your input, would you keep this 2011, or ask for a new one? They are willing to give me back about 15%, if i keep this one
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    That boiler was first introduced late 2010 I believe. How was the packaging?
  • maybemark
    Hi Gordy
    very dirty, no dents at all, and doesn't look like it has ever been open
    Mark
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    I'd take it back. They show 2 generations of software, and that may have first generation. I have no idea what was changed, but it falls along the same lines as not buying the first year production of a new car. IMO
    Gordyicesailor
  • maybemark
    Paul
    thanks
    mark
  • Limamikemike
    Limamikemike Member Posts: 28
    There are several updates to the software, one that gave us issues is the inability to shut down the system pump during DHW calls when piped as priority (fixed with a external relay easily)

If your installer has acces to lochinvar's laptop software it maybe updateable.

Otherwise there not too many differences. You have an excellent boiler, ask for some cash and keep it.
  • maybemark
    lima
    I don't have access to the software. I wonder if I can get that in with the money he's willing to give me. I am not sure what your saying about the DHW. Are you saying on older models like the one they sent me, I will need to add a relay?
    What makes me unhappy is the fact, they sold me a unit, never told me it's from 2011. Then they tell me there has not been any changes. I see from you, there has been updates. there is always a reason for an update (improvement).
    . I would like extra money, but is it all worth it, since i don't have the software. does the newer models come with this relay your talking about?
    . thanks
    mark
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Call up Lochnivar to find out what, if any differences there are and how the age will affect your warranty.
    maybemark
  • maybemark
    Rob
    That was the 1st thing i did.
    they told me nothing new on it, and waurentee starts day of install, but, from this site, the boiler has gone thru a few software updates, so, I guess i was not being told the truth
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I once bought two Triangle Tube boilers to install on one job. When I opened the boxes, they had two different controls. I would've had to wait a week for the replacement matching boiler. I said screw it. Installed both knowing I could always replace a control on its own if I wanted to. I never did. They both run fine. I've moved on.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • maybemark
    John
    so, are you saying take the money and run?
    I have all the time in the world, so, time isn't an issue. Shouldn't i be concerned with the updates?
    thanks for the imput
    Mark
  • maybemark
    when you talk ubout software updates, are these for the software you can purchase for the unit? Does anyone know what the software updates are for?
    I talked with the store manager today, he is willing to take off even more money if i would keep it. Total about 27% off price he gave me.
    I mentioned to him about the software update that you guys wrote on my wall. he mentioned it was all for multiple boilers. i don't know if this is true or not. He says this will work just as fine as a new boiler.
    I am very mixed up on what i should do, he is giving me until friday to make up my mind.
    I hear what you guys are saying.
    I hear what he says (and the money would be nice)
    and i'm right in between, because i really don't know what to do
    thanks
    mark
  • RobG
    Did you specifically ask Loch about any software upgrades?
  • Paul48
    Like.......Can the software be upgraded to the latest version?If yes, it's a no-brainer.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    The wholesaler I did 99% of my business ALWAYS put the year/date on any boxed item they received. To make sure that lazy warehousemen didn't always take the new front ones old leave the old back ones in inventory. Shame on the manager.
  • maybemark
    Rob
    I will call Lochinvar now, and ask
    Paul, i can also ask, if the new update can be gotten to install it on my unit
    thanks guys
    mark
    People, any other input would be appreciated
  • maybemark
    just called Lochinvar. I was told there has not been any changes to the unit, and I asked several times, has there been any updates, 1st she said no, but she said, that she will look into it further, and call me back.
    If the changes are for the software that you can purchase to have management to several boilers at once, then, it really doesn't affect the boiler.
    Some did mention, who knows how it's been treated since 2011 till now in the warehouse, all i can see is the box is in great shape, never opened, just very dusty. i was also told, it's in a controlled environment in the warehouse at the distributor I bought from
    would like to hear your thoughts.
    thanks
    Mark
  • RobG
    Take the money and make sure that the warranty is registered with Loch.
    maybemark
  • maybemark
    I was already told, that the age doesn't matter, it's when the unit is installed, that's when the warranty starts
  • RobG
    Loch doesn't know when it was installed, only when they shipped it. Make sure and register the warranty.
  • maybemark
    Rob
    it has not been installed yet, nor registerd, I taled with Loch about it, when it gets installed, thats when i register it
  • maybemark
    I have googled updat for the unit, and i cannot find anywhere that there has been an update. i am not saying this is not true, i just can't seem to find it.
    Someone says there has been several updates, but he does not say to what.
    He is taking off a huge amount, and it would be great to have this savings, but, he is taking it off, without me even asking, so, it puts wonder in my head, is there something different, he says this boiler is the same as the new boilers.
    I don't know what to do
  • maybemark
    Lochinvar just called back, and iwas told there has been no updates since started in late 2010. I asked, can anything go bad sitting in the box, she said no.
    Aren't there gaskets and seals that can dry up, without use?
    Or am i way off in my thinking
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Take your 27%, and quit worrying. The warranty will cover anything under its limitations. He just wants it off the shelf to avoid hassles like this, and in case there are future changes to new models he's not stuck with an outdated model. Your getting a pretty nice discount.
    icesailorRobGmaybemark
  • maybemark
    thanks gordy
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    I would take the money (and the boiler) and run with it. I passed on an opportunity to buy a TT Prestige Solo 110 that had been installed in a model home for two weeks and used for a total of 16 hours. The price was about 50% off and came with an aftermarket warranty of some sort. Still kicking myself for that. Came with all the plumbing from the boiler room too. Ugh. Depressing just to think about it.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
  • maybemark
    Franklin
    thanks for your input
    Mark
  • maybemark
    Someone has to be mistaken, either some of you guys, or Lochinvar, telling me stories. Both can not be true. Anyway, i think i will keep the unit, and take the money, maybe i will ask for a 2 year parts warranty
  • maybemark
    I was just reading in the service manual, that if there is an update, you need to change the controler. Now I wonder if it's worth it. I'm wondering if Lochinvar is not telling me the whole truth. I just came accross this in the manual, so, whoever said, it's been changed 3 times, that all might be true.
    Anyone else know if there has been updates? And if there are updates, anything major for me not to want this unit?
  • WillieJ
    WillieJ Member Posts: 16
    I have a whn085. 2 years old. Works flawlessly. I don't know if there are any firmware upgrades. I don't care. It is keeping my 3450 square foot house warm for about $75 per month less than its predecessor, an oversized weil mclain. Take the money and run. Make sure it is installed per the instructions.
    Customer service at Lochinvar has nothing to gain by lying to you. They sold the unit to their distributor long ago and got their money. Register the boiler when you have it installed. Keep the purchase receipt.
  • maybemark
    this is my plan, thanks for the input
    Mark
  • maybemark
    willie
    if you don't mind me askingwhereabouts do you live? The size of your house is about 1000 sq ft larger, my heat loss is terrible though and i live in chicago, terrible winters and i got the whn085
    thanks
    mark
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Here is what I would do, take a certain discount along with the most recent control module update, I am pretty sure there have been at least 1 update since inception. I can't think of anything else that has changed of real importance on the WHN boiler. Good luck. Ps, I have one of the oldest ones installed around and has worked very well. Think I have installed about 20 of them.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    You are starting to sound like guy I used to work with. He never brought his lunch to work. He always tried to bum something from someone else. There was this really skinny guy (Tom) who always had a box full of food. Like three sandwiches which he only ever ate one. His fat wife was always trying to fatten him up. She never did. The guy Coop) spent 25 minutes of a 30 minute lunch break trying to bum a sandwich from the skinny guy, Tom. Finally, he relented and gave him a ham and cheese sandwich. The beggar (Coop) takes the sandwich, opens it up and exclaims MAYONAISE!!! I hate Mayonnaise. And throws the sandwich back at the guy. "I don't eat anything with mayonnaise".

I ate the sandwich. I said that I would eat it, and I did.

If I needed a boiler, and found out that they would give me that much off on a 2011 boiler, I'd of paid for it on the spot and taken my 2%. More if I could have gotten it.
    Canucker
  • Paul48
    Mark.....It was me that said I saw different versions of the software listed in their manuals. I double-checked, and I was wrong. They show one version for all WHN models. I'm sorry for the added stress. Take the money, and run.
    maybemark
  • maybemark
    paul
    thanks for coming up and telling me this, i really do appreciate it
    Mark
  • WillieJ
    WillieJ Member Posts: 16
    maybemark said:

willie
    if you don't mind me askingwhereabouts do you live? The size of your house is about 1000 sq ft larger, my heat loss is terrible though and i live in chicago, terrible winters and i got the whn085
    thanks
    mark

Western Washington State, near Canada. Design day temp here is 19*F. Btw I'm still oversized with the WHN085. Design day heat loss is just over 50,000 BTU per the Slant Fin calculator, but I didn't know better when I had it installed; hadn't found this site yet. Lucked out with the installer; he did a very nice neat job and piped it by the book.

Also the house has plenty of radiation via baseboard, about 53,000 BTU with 150* water, or 84,000 BTU with 180* water. This means that I set the outdoor reset curve to 150* at design day, and most of the time the boiler is operating at much lower temp and condensing.
  • maybemark
    sounds great
    I live in an old house over 90 years old about 2600 sq ft. i did the slant fin calculator and itshowed a huge loss of 73k. I have 12" of massonry and no insulation on the walls. I set the calculator at 0 for outside temp. right now i have a way over sized 35 year old boiler that i am paying extremly high bills. It should come down dramatically
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    I want to also verify I am not 100% sure on software version of control, I am hoping to get an answer on this today and I will let you know. I could look if I want to travel to my oldest and the one I put in yesterday but waiting to hear?
    maybemark