Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

got my Lochinvar whn85 today, found out it was built in 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• maybemark
    maybemark Member Posts: 1,131
    Options
    Tim
    Thank you very much for stepping up and saying your not sure now.I did call lockinvar again today, and spoke with another ajent, and she also said no changes have been made.
    I think i will take the amount of money and keep the unit. I did try calling the manager at the distributo, went to voice mail, have not heard back from him yet
    thanks again
    Mark
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The heat loss calculations we use do not really account for thermal mass. Twelve inches of brick takes a bit of time to pass heat or cold -- and really cries out for outdoor reset control. I think you're going to be happy with the results once the system is working.
    Gordymaybemark
  • maybemark
    Options
    swei
    thanks for the words of conffidence.
    I won't find out until March or april, this is when my plumber will install the units.
    Was it you that suggested the variable speed pumps? I have the 15-58, and i hope they will be fine, those variable speed pums are very expensive.
    Me havingthe old converted gravity, would you suggest plumbing it full flow without a boiler loop, or the suggestion on 1 zone for sh 1 boiler loop and 1 priority for dhw?
    thanks
    mark
  • SWEI
    Options
    I would skip the boiler loop and use one circ for DHW and one for heating.

Given the hints we're seeing about upcoming ECM circs with 0-10V inputs, I'd probably keep the factory-provided circ for now.
    maybemark
  • maybemark
    Options
    swei
    keep the dhw as priority? or a seperate zone? And would i wire the SH as a zone or the boiler loop?
  • SWEI
    Options
    DHW priority is built in to the boiler. Some call it a zone, but the important thing is that it works and all you need is a pump with an IFC and you are good to go.
  • maybemark
    Options
    Swei
    what about wiring of the boiler and SH, do i put this on a zone?
  • maybemark
    Options
    the pumps i purchased have flow checks
  • SWEI
    Options
    Sorry -- what's SH?
  • maybemark
    Options
    space heat
  • SWEI
    Options
    If you're direct pumping it, they are one and the same. There's no 'zone' if you have only one pump, unless you have zone valves downstream of it.
  • maybemark
    Options
    so hook it up to boiler pump? and hook it up to dhw pump?
  • maybemark
    Options
    swei
    what makes a single pump better for your system verses a loop and a system pump?
  • maybemark
    Options
    swei
    would keep my 25-58 st the slowest sppen then?
  • SWEI
    Options
    Two pumps allow hydraulic separation of the boiler loop from the system loop. This allows maximum freedom for each with regards to flow rate and ΔT. It's absolutely required for some configurations. Others (like yours) with more forgiving characteristics sometimes allow the use of a simpler design. It's not trumpeted in their installation manuals because it only applies in specific cases -- and an unfortunate majority of installers in this day and age lack sufficient clue to be able to understand the difference.
  • maybemark
    Options
    SweiI imagine what makes it good for me is that i have an old converted gravity fed system with alot of volumn of water. Is this correct?
    The other question, how do i hook that 1 pump up, as a zone, or a boiler loop?
    I also imagine, it will not affect dhw.
    Will i need to do special piping for doing this system, or installing any other equiptment?
    thanks
    mark
  • SWEI
    Options
    Again, I'm not really sure what you're asking here -- you need one pump for both the boiler and the system -- there are no 'zones' per se.
  • maybemark
    Options
    swie
    sorry if i'm not explaining myself well. I am refering to the wiring of this 1 pump for heat system and boiler, what does it get rired too in the electric panel
  • SWEI
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wire the circ to the System Pump terminals in the WH, then change the DHW Blocks Sys Pump parameter to NO. I would check with Lochinvar tech support to be sure there's not a similar blocking option for the Boiler Pump terminals, but I'm not aware of one.
  • maybemark
    Options
    ok, thanks
  • maybemark
    Options
    on the wire panel, dhw is priority.
    I think I'm mixed up, thanks anyways
  • SWEI
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Correct, the DHW pump gets wired to the DHW Pump terminals, and it has priority by default. I thought the system fired the boiler pump whenever there was a call of any kind, since they assume the use of primary/secondary piping. Now that I look at their diagrams again, they show the DHW piped in a way which seems to indicate that the boiler pump must not be running during a DHW call. No clear definition in the sequence of operation that I can see. I guess I need to give them a call on Monday to be certain.
  • maybemark
    Options
    I think i get it now, this way, if I say no, durring the times that i don't need heat, and when i turn on the dwh, the other pump won't go on
    I get it, this is all in the programing