Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kenmore (rebadged Dunkirk DKVLT)

innovisn
innovisn Member Posts: 2
I am switching from an oil boiler (Burnham) to new gas boiler (gas main laid down the street and service line to my house in the last month).
Currently I heat DHW through the coil in the boiler unit.
I have had several HVAC companies come in to give me estimates. Everyone is pushing a particular brand. From low end Navien 240 to Triangle Tube PTE 110 (with the Tank in Tank) to Rinnai, WM, Viessmann (I searched this guy out as it is not very prevalent in the area).
Not one of them did a heat loss. But I am running out of local HVAC companies.
I did it myself and came up with a conservative 77K.
I also calculated the baseboard at 166 feet. 3 Zones (68, 62, 36 ft).
Sears would not have been a choice of mine, but my brother suggested them, more for their service aspect (i can keep calling them till they get it right (on their dime) and there is always some at the Sears 1-800 number).
I know the sales routine and before he left my table for the evening, he was down 15% from his original quote.
Which put him in the mix with the others.
I hadn't read anything about the Dunkirk brand. There isn't much found with respect to knowledgeable people taking about it.
I read their literature and installation manual, and it seems to be a decent machine. 316L/444 SS fin tube heat exchanger.
It is not a combi unit so you need an indirect water heater, of which he specified one made by Dunkirk as well.

Before the sales call, I was leaning to the TT PTE110 (Prestige Trimax). It seems to be just the right size overall. It only modulates down to 30K, so it may be a little overkill for the small zone (36 ft). They say they have something to reduce short cycling. I happen to read in the Dunkirk literature they accomplish this by keeping the boiler from re-firing within 180 seconds. I can only guess the TT has something similar.

Any suggestions, thoughts would be most welcome.
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    The Dunkirk is an excellent boiler, but a lousy installer can mess up the best one made.

I've never been a fan of Sears in the HVAC market. They usually find the cheapest guy they can get to sub it out.

I would highly recommend that you find a COMPETENT hydronic installer. He's far more important than the brand of boiler.

Have you tried the contractor locator on this site? Where are you located?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    RobG
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    AMEN.
  • innovisn
    innovisn Member Posts: 2
    Kingston, NY. I did try the locator but no hits in my area.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    If you go with the Prestige [ which I don't recommend ] due to the small tank size on the domestic end. I would get the Solo and add a indirect. But if you go the PTE route you must flush the system and install a good filter like Fernox F1 or that 3 way valve in the PTE will get stuck.