Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace in nee wall crawl space attic

Options
I have a hot air furnace in knee wall crawl space behind bathroom. It is hanging from rafters. It provides hot air to attic and 2nd floor. The second floor has redundancy because it also has steam heat radiators. This furnace is not in conditioned living space and it is very old unit. There is also AC. I think this is very ineffiecient trying to heat house from unit almost outside and I am a little concerned about it age and carbon monoxide poisoning. The ductwork is very poorly
insulate. That round stuff with all the friction to air flow.
Are there other options to heat attic. Could we install a small boiler up there with some baseboard hydronic heating.
What unit would you recc? We are reinsulating because the insulation was done incorrectly in knee wall ares the bathroom floor tile was new but it is freezing.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    You might look at one of these. Make sure you do a heat loss calc on the space, and consider adding some insulation to those knee walls.
    Snowmelt
  • rrwitherspoon
    rrwitherspoon Member Posts: 104
    Options
    good idea
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    If you just want heat, those are an excellent choice. And they are out of the unconditioned space, in the room you want to heat.

If you need cooling/AC, put in a Mini-Split.