Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to bleed a hot-water zone off a steam boiler?

Options
Tolik
Tolik Member Posts: 85
Hello,

My basement has a hot-water loop off the steam boiler. The problem is it sounds like there is a lot of air trapped in the pipes. The geniuses who installed the system didn't put any bleeder valves. The only thing I have is a valve pointing down and a shut off lever. I'm guessing there is a way to purge the system of air with this setup.

Pictures shows dark blue strait handle valve on left that looks like it cuts the supply of water coming back to the boiler on the other side. The motor pumps the water away from the boiler and up. I have no idea what that arrow on the wall is showing it was there when we moved in. The black round valve next to the gray box is closed. To the right of it is a flo-check valve.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Dan Holohan has a "Before you Ask" thread. Click the first "here", then Steam. Read the article on Hot WaterZone Off a Steam Boiler.
  • gcp13
    gcp13 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Read article first.
    At the beginning and the end of the loop you need a valve and a drain set for a hose
    you don't want any bleed valves on the loop that may let air in.
    If you valve the loop off you should be able to backfeed with a hose possibly from a water heater to flush it and then fill the loop.
    I hook up a hose to one end to fill and a 2nd hose on the other side of the loop to flush out and clean. When you have a good flow shut off the valves.
    To flush and fill properly you need to open the flow check from the screw on the top.
  • gcp13
    gcp13 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    I just looked at the photo,looks like there is no valve to shut the loop off. It's Tied right Back to the return,and also check the direction of the flow check,it is opposite from the arrow that's on the wall. make sure it's going to same direction as the circulator
    I would first start by putting a valve before the drain near the circulator
  • Tolik
    Options
    The flo-check is in the same direction as the circulator. I'm not sure what that arrow is showing it was like that when we moved in.

I read through the stuff How to run a hot-water zone off a steam boiler but is seems like there is the right way to install something and there is the way it was done.

If I cut the copper pipe and install a bleed-valve on a coupling would that be easier route?
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Did you actually read the article? You can't do that. If you do you will flood the boiler with the water that is in that zone.
  • Tolik
    Options
    Mark N said:

Did you actually read the article? You can't do that. If you do you will flood the boiler with the water that is in that zone.

Ye, you're right I re-read it again after I posted this and bleed valves are a "no".
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    How does your boiler run normally, asking because the pics show that it is not piped right at all??
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Tolik
    Options
    Dave0176 said:

How does your boiler run normally, asking because the pics show that it is not piped right at all??

It runs okay it has kept us warm thus far. This is our first home so it's all new to me. In the apartment building the radiators hissed and made noises I couldn't care less. Now that I own the system I'd like it to run as best as I can make it.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Once you go above the water line on boiler you dont want any device that can let air in packing nuts on flow check,hose cock etc as stated Dan has a great article on how to pipe this system especially when you go above water line,good luck with it.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    And that poor pump is going to die a quick horrible death!