Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 pipe steam drawings, questions re: HW circuit on steam boiler and venting

Options
Attached drawings are of a Crown boiler and existing steam piping and HW baseboard water pipings and controls.
Do i need a vent on the return main in a different place than shown? The vacuum breaker looks like it only serves the HWH circuit, it that correct? Should i simplify the HWH circuit, or is this set up a good way to pipe for the HWH circuit?
Is the "tank" shown a small hot water receiver, the tank is home made and copper. There are a couple vents on third floor rads (bullet type) which i will remove when new boiler is installed. What other vents if any should be added. Existing steam vent shown on return line coming from HOT OUT connection on brazed plate heat exchanger fails every year, it spews steam and water within 20 minutes of start up. The two pics are hand drawn and colored coded for clarity. The total EDR (used Dan's EDR book) is 665 square feet. Existing boiler is a Crown 299,000 btuh input 245 lbs per hr out. Can anyone identify how the HWH circuit works and clarify venting for me? Thanks. Hope the pics show right side up.

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    sorry the pics don't show. anychance you could forgo the hW loop for all steam instead, or just start over with the loop?
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • JudySweetland
    JudySweetland Member Posts: 120
    Options
    vaporvac said:

sorry the pics don't show. anychance you could forgo the hW loop for all steam instead, or just start over with the loop?

I opened drawings ok this am. Isn't there a jpeg image u can open directly under the words: tweet, flag, quote, share, email? Weird if not there on what u can see. I will convert to pdf and reattach. Thanks.
  • JudySweetland
    JudySweetland Member Posts: 120
    Options
    Hopefully these pdf's show up. These are the drawings mentioned above in my original post. Thanks.