Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

weil mclain HE6

when there is a call for heat i get a heavy gas smell at exhaust terminal outside. how much is normal if any. thanks

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Not very. You are having a delay in ignition.
  • what would be first step in troubleshooting problem?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Timing the delay from when the gas valve clicks open and you hear the burner light off? Doesn't the HE have an open tray burner like the VHE? Are all the burner tubes running?
  • i will check timing. not something i was hired to do. just happened to pick up problem when i was outside looking for gas meter and boiler fired while i was passing by vent. Yes has an open tray . Does the gas valve open once fan is proved or after hot surface igniter ?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    What integrated control does it have on it or is it a White Rodgers Cycle Pilot Systems with an EQSO resistor?
  • i will check tomorrow but pretty sure a weil mclain 1107-1
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265

i will check timing. not something i was hired to do. just happened to pick up problem when i was outside looking for gas meter and boiler fired while i was passing by vent. Yes has an open tray . Does the gas valve open once fan is proved or after hot surface igniter ?

All the ones I ever saw had the blower start as soon as the call came. It has to establish draft before anything else can happen. I once had one that I started working on a Friday. It was running fine when I shut it off. Monday morning when I got back, it wouldn't fire. The fan started, but it never fired. It locked out. Over the weekend, meeces moved in and ate on the red and white rubber tubes for the draft fan prover switch. New hoses and it worked like a charm.

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Dad had an HE6 put in the family home back in 90, they moved in 91. First hot surface ignitor I ever changed. Good life, 1 year. Anyway, you probably will get a whiff of gas out the vent on first startup as the gas valve opens and it takes a second or 2 for the burners to fully light. They are the ribbon burns like most atmospheric boilers.

Noisy boiler, sounded like an oil burner roaring. Quite a change from the 50s relic.