Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Expansion noise or water hammer?

Abracadabra
Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
Can't find any clues that would indicate water hammer, I'm inclined to think this is expansion noise. I've been there 3 times during the day, manually started a run cycle on the boiler, I get no noise whatsoever. Customer says it only happens in the middle of the night after a setback. Setback is only 4 degrees. 68 at night from 72 during day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJHnhfM-r4

Comments

• Tell him to have no setback for a while-68 degrees constant setting, and I am sure they will feel comfortable. Even 65 would work.--NBC
  • Abracadabra
    Heh.. "customer" is the owner of the rental. video was taken by the tenant. I know for a fact that tenants in chicago don't appreciate 65 or even 68. I'll tell him to try no setback at 72 and see what happens. thx.
  • Even though 65 seems chilly, the "feels like" temperature seems higher due to the radiant heat coming from the rads (assuming no drafty windows!).--NBC
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited November 2014
    Definitely doesn't sound like water hammer. Is that inlet pipe up against the flooring? If so, as a test, try cutting a strip of plastic milk carton around that pipe (between itand the flooring) and see if the noise goes away.
    Abracadabra
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    Sounds like expansion noise. I'd try putting the plastic milk carton shims under each leg of the radiator. I put two shims under each leg of my radiators so they can easily slide past each other, and it has It worked great for reducing expansion and contraction noises.
    Abracadabra
  • Abracadabra
    Yeah.. didn't seem like water hammer, I couldn't really decide what it was tho... Ah.. good idea on the milk carton thing.... saw the plastic milk carton idea last week. I think I'll try that.. thanks!
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,590
    I like the plastic milk bottle bushing.
    I agree with others, sounds like the pipe is rubbing against the floor. Can you look down around the pipe with a flashlight and see if it's rubbing on one side? if so just slide the radiator over to get the pipe off of the wood.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment