Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiators spitting out water

ph
ph Member Posts: 11
i have a building that is 4 floors high and the there are 3 radiators at the end of the main on the 1st fl.that are spitting out water and the ones on the 4th fl are getting warm not providing enough heat for that room

was wandering what to look out for and what shell be my first steps in trying to figure out whats going on..

thanks in advance

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    1-mains insulated?
    2-mains properly vented?
    3-proper near boiler piping making dry steam?
    4-pressure not exceeding 1-1.5psi?
  • Can you take pictures of the boiler piping, and give us info on the pressure of the system, along with the types of main vents being used?
    It's possible that the steam is arriving early in the thermostat location, and late to the chilly areas.--NBC
  • ph
    the boiler is set to cut out @ 1.5 and cut back in at .5 and the pressure troll is working fine, the near boiler piping is as specified by the manufacture the main is not insulated and the main venting is not correct it only has a hoffman 40 at the end of the line and not in the correct place however what is botthering me is that it was working till this winter
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Has anything changed since last season? Construction that might have shifted something?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • ph
    everything is same old nothing was touched for passed 3 yrs that i know the building
  • ph
    dos anyone know if a clogged or parsley clogged wet return line will have any effect?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,160
    Not that effect. But a damaged vent will... or a sagged pipe. And that sort of thing does happen.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ph
    if its any help the water starts spitting out before the system starts making pressuer
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Please provide pics of near boiler piping.
    Are the mains insulated?
  • Pressure must be spitting out the water, only you don't know what the pressure is-is that right?
    All of these symptoms have various causes, and the job is to find out what the problem is. Having an accurate low-pressure gauge of 0-3 psi will help you save thousands of dollars in fuel over a few years.
    The alternative is to pay more to your fuel supplier, because your main venting is inadequate.--NBC