Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

$$$$$$$$$$$ How do you figure out savings ?

Techman
Techman Member Posts: 2,144
In a commercial bldg,offices, production line(AC),2 shifts, 450t cooling (largest comp is 15t) , 270t chiller(15hp's),40t refrigeration(cafeteria ,hp's 5-4-3-2-1/2-3/4 etc. On a give day of 95* , the head pressure ,KindaSorta, is supposed to be equal to 125*f condensing temp,but I find many, many systems running at 130*f + 2-3-5*. Now , just suppose I wash those suffering , motherless , comps and the head press drops down to 125* cond temp. How much was saved in $, in btu's,watts, kwatts,lower demand meter rate, kinda stuff? In 10t or 15t or 25t rates , kinda thing?!?!?? This is beyond my toolbox/gauges/test instruments, for now, that is! HELP!

Comments

• Spence
    Spence Member Posts: 316
    This may not be for what you are looking, and figuring a demand meter is more involved, yet:

Actual voltage times operating current divided by 1,000 yields kilowatts. Multiply that by the cost per KwH and you will know the cost of a hour's operation before and after your wash. Multiply those by the cooling hours in your area (mine is 970, for example) and you will have a good picture of the impact of your wash over an average season.

Remember this is based on average cooling hours. It doesn't take into account an extreme weather incident or changes in costs, end-user anomalies, or something in the atmosphere that would plug your condensers beyond normal.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Check the Department of Energy web site.
    Something to the effect of:
    For every 2*f drop in condenser temperature you’ll save 1 % in energy.
    For every 2*f raise in supply temperature you’ll save 1 % in Energy.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    If you clean a dirty condenser you will save money. That amount of savings is directly proportional to the amount of dirt in and on the condenser. Now get to work slacker.