Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wiring options

Options
How would you guys wire a second floor maniford with actuators? So there Wil be between 5-7 actuators on it and an ecm pump will operate it.
Would you leave the pump in the mechanical room or up at the manifold? Would you mount your zone valve control board (will use Caleffi or taco) up with the manifold and to limit the amount of low voltage wiring to run? Can you use any bundled wires like cat6 or cat7 for the low voltage side? I'm just trying to get a 'seasoned' opinion on how to make effecient use of doing the wiring. Or would you bundle a bunch (number of zones) of 20-4 wire and just pull them together?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I would leave the circ in the mech room for sure.
    If there was clean place to install the control board near the valves it would make troubleshooting a little easier. I would not cram it in an access panel, but if there was a storage closet where it could be mounted,great.
    If you do run wires for the zone valves, I would not use ethernet wires. thermostat wiring is not very expensive and is easy to work with.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    Options
    Yeah we figured just getting 6 thermostat wires and bundling them together to pull 1 set would 'be simple too. Just thought I'd throw it out Here because some of you guys always have little hints and tricks that are so obvious in hindsight. Haha. And looking at it there may be a nice place for the zvc up there in the storage closet which will probably provide the access to the manifold also. But for troubleshooting it makes a lot of sense to have it up there.

With that then you'd have xx from zvc to boiler, line voltage to zvc, then line voltage from zvc pump control back to boiler and line from zvc back to the primary pump also. Seems as if any way you slice it there's a bit of wiring to pull. Or option 3 homerun all the piping back and all the thermostats back to the mech room
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    Like zman says, pump in the mech room-one less major leak path to worry about and easier diagnostics. Run the actuator wiring to a zone control module preferably by manofold that organizes things and sends TT signal to boiler. Put the 40VA for the ZCM either by it or in the mech room for troubleshooting.

I just rehabbed this week a 15 year old Burnham 2 loop system (remember when Burnham did radiant?). Relocated a new manifold set to the wall in the crawlspace that used to be up in the floor joists buried in insulation, and guess where I found the xformer that drove the actuators? In the attic.