Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does anyone see anything wrong with these closely spaced tees?

Jacob_RampartSupply
Jacob_RampartSupply Member Posts: 4
edited September 2014 in THE MAIN WALL
I was at a job site earlier today and for some reason something about this piping didn't look right to me. The loop on the bottom is the primary boiler loop and the spaced tees coming of the back is for the domestic loop. The straight run on top is the heating loop. Any thoughts?

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I'm confused, could you draw it on a piece of paper and post it?

Rob
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Where's the primary pump in that?

There isn't enough equalizing pipe length from the closely spaced tees to 90 degree turning ells. The turbulence can raise hell with the two separate flows.
  • @ icesailor, Thank you for your input. Kind of what I was thinking.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    The domestic lines should be connected so they are parallel (direct) return to the boiler, not through closely spaced Tees.

The pic provides only a limited view of the situation and I don't see any circ's either.

If the necessary circ's are there, then both the boiler primary circ and the domestic charging circ could be turned on simultaneously, with the secondary circ off, and that would charge the indirect. Not the most efficient way to do it, but easier than re-piping it.

And yes, the spacing isn't right, so there will some hydraulic interference.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I agree with the above posts however there is not enough info to draw any conclusion (except for the fact that there is some funky piping). Once again, can you post a drawing of the layout? What are the problems they are having with the system? You must have been called in for a reason.

Rob