Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Choices on gas conversion equipment

Options
DBentley
DBentley Member Posts: 2
We are converting from oil to gas and have received two quotes from trusted plumbers that we have used in the past. Obviously everyone has their preferred equipment, but I was hoping to get some opinions regarding the two systems. I don't want to overspend if they will both perform well, but I don't want to buy the less expensive equipment and have more problems with it.

Background: 1 zone, 2 levels (Basement not heated), 1800 sq ft. Baseboard forced hot water.

Options: Williamson GWC Series 114K net BTUs

Lochinvar WHN-085.

Thank you,

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Equipment

I would prefer the Lochinvar. But more importantly, have the contractor's performed a proper heat loss of your home?
  • DBentley
    DBentley Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Discussed heat loss but not done

Neither did a heat loss calculation. One said he could if we would like, but he recommended the Williamson based on the current oil furnace we have and the need for at least 100 BTU for the water tank. We have used this gentleman previously and he has done a good job (no need to call again about same issue)

The other did a measurement of our baseboards and said 85 BTU Lochinvar will be plenty (only system he installs due to superiority). This gentleman was recommended by a general contractor (the general contractor was recommended by a friend for another job).

We had a home energy assessment and there is a definite need for updating insulation through the whole house (built in 1961) and a few windows.

Thank you again for your help. It is difficult to know which is the right decision when you have no working knowledge of the field.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Heat loss

A heat loss needs to be done before anything else can be decided. Both contractors have chosen their boiler size with completely wrong methods. You do not measure the baseboards to find the boiler size, and you never trust the size that is currently there. If neither of them can perform a proper heat loss (the most essential factor in a boiler replacement) then what else are they not going to know or do?

Where are you located? We might know somebody in your area.