Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Navien CH180ASME

Options
TTMing
TTMing Member Posts: 2
I'm converting to gas next month. My plumber quoted me the Navien CH180ASME due to limited space in the boiler room.  Current Oil boiler supply both hot water and heat for the home.  The home is 1100sqft with 2 heating zones. Is this unit sufficient for the size of the home?  Please share any experience with this unit good and bad.  Also are there any competitor's unit I should consider beside Navien? Thank you. 

Comments

• jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Navien

You can search threads on this site.The Navien has been talked about quite a lot.I think they warranty their unit for 5yrs which is about the time you will be pulling it of the wall to change it.If it was my house I would not put this unit in.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Get what you pay for..

If you are thinking long term, spend more money and buy a Triangle tube prestige excellence or a Viessmann combo unit.

People like Navien because they cost less. There is a reason for this.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    KennyCatbox
  • TTMing
    TTMing Member Posts: 2
    Options
    thanks

What's your opinion on these 2 brands?

Bosch greenstar combi or Lochinvar cadet.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited August 2014
    Options
    At 1100 sq ft

your heat loss has to be quite low, first have someone do a heat loss calcc, and see what you need for btu's to heat the space, then do a little math and figure out what you need for domestic hot water...

I am not a combi fan, I like separate dhw and heating appliances, so I would try to sell you something like the rinnai ru80i for dhw and a lochinvar knight 055 or triangle tube solo 60...

You get what you pay for in all aspects of HVAC, materials and labor/worksmanship...
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    heatpro

This is very interesting.As another who is not a combi fan how do you compete with these Navien installers.Even to get a quality combi and piped correctly,combustion analysis etc I bet you are a lot more than these guys.Do you find you have to compromise sometimes and compete with the one day miracle workers who slap these Naviens in and walk away.Right now it is very competitive whats the answers.I am not in a position to walk away from every job.Thanks.
    KennyCatbox