Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

W-M SGO-3 to gas conversion

Pollorey
Pollorey Member Posts: 1
Hi,

Which burner would you guys recommend for a W-M SGO-3 steam boiler rated at 114000 BTU.  In the Carlin line would you recommend the EZGasm Pro Burner or the G3B gas burner?  Any other brands, models?  Which is a better bang for the buck?  And what the best place to buy one of them?  Any discounts?

Also, would installing a water coil be worth it?  Currently there is already a gas fired water heater?  How much of a savings would I see for the year if heating the domestic water in the winter with the boiler?

Thanks,

Phil

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Burner

Carlin makes a welded flange version of the EZ Gas for that specific boiler. You cannot just buy them anywhere. You absolutely need a trained and competent technician to install the burner. There is a lot of adjustment and testing that needs to be properly done.
  • Kakashi
    Kakashi Member Posts: 88
    money

Go for a gas boiler 90+,92+,97+. I am guessing you got a quote already for the burner, consider a new boiler. It won't be that much more.

If you have an underground tank read the fine print if you have insurance on it. Above or basement who cares as long as they didn't leak.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Huh?

Where have you seen a steam boiler with an AFUE of 90+,92+ and 97+?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    me too

I want one...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Kakashi
    Kakashi Member Posts: 88
    opps

Didn't notice it was. I just saw it on the first page
  • Fizz
    Fizz Member Posts: 547
    For what it's worth

I converted our W-M SGO 6 3 yrs ago with a Wayne gas gun and have been very pleased with results.  When I was looking into it I contacted W-M and they steered me to Wayne, though they didn't reccommend the conversion.  Now the advice you get from the guys here is golden!  Not knowing much about Wayne or any other gun, I went with W-M suggestion.  Also a friend of mine converted last yr and also went with Wayne is very pleased.  The other factor for me was the supply house dealt in Mitco and Wayne, and my installer prefered Wayne so we went with it.  Probably had I researced more I would have gone with general consensus here.  But I got lucky and no problems.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Carlin EZ gas

is a great conversion burner, especially on that boiler