Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing AC with heatpump?

Options
I have an old AC system in the attic that is eventually going to need to be replaced due to the previous owner of the house power washing the condenser until the fins were almost totally bent over.  The ductwork for the system is in the ceiling and it is one zone.  I live in Rhode lsland and I currently heat the house with a oil boiler with baseboards.  Would there be any value to replacing the central AC system with a heat pump and use the heat from the heat pump during the spring and fall?

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,260
    Options
    depends as usual

My guess is yes. Ceiling registers aren't the best for heating but you may be satisfied.
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    -

I realize the registers in the ceiling are not optimal for heat but I'm think a heat pump might still be effective in the spring and fall.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Options
    I do this in my own home

I run the heatpump in the shoulder months as aux heat and my primary heat in the colder months once the heat pump is not efficient do to the outdoor temps.. I have installed many systems like this, sometimes moving or adding a return can make ceiling supply heating systems much more efficient and comfortable...
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Good to hear from someone with heat pump.

I have three HVAC contractors lined up for quotes so I will see what that have to say about it now.