Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Painting Cast Iron Baseboard Radiator – Baseray/Governale

docancho
docancho Member Posts: 38
Per instructions from US Boiler Company about painting Baseray baseboard:

PAINTING – BASE-RAY and Trip are primed with a latex (water based) paint and must be top coated with a high grade oil or solvent based enamel to prevent rusting of the metals…

I plan to use “Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Flat White Protective Enamel Paint”.

Do you think I would need High Heat paint or this one would do? I am using hot water heating with baseboards.

Also, any suggestions to use can & brush or spray paint?

Pls chime in with your thoughts.

Comments

• Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    depends if...

depends if you have steam or hot water. Steam requires high heat paint or it will blister off within an hour.
  • docancho
    hot water

I am using hot water heating with baseboards.

Thanks.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited April 2014
    Baseboard Paint

I painted my Burnham baseboards with Benjamin Moore Impervo, it is an alkyd enamel paint. I used a brush to apply the paint.
  • docancho
    satisfied?

how long ago have you 

painted and are you satisfied that you used  Benjamin Moore Impervo?

Thanks.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,163
    I paint

my steam radiators with Benjamin Moore flat acrylic enamels -- same stuff I use on the walls (in fact, right out of the same can...).

Unlike Eric's experience, most of them were done in the time frame of 8 to 10 years ago, and I have not experienced any rusting, peeling, flaking, blistering or other problems.

But that is a very high quality acrylic...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Impervo

I painted them 3 years ago and have been satisfied with the results.
  • TeeSee
    TeeSee Member Posts: 10
    Paint

I just reconditioned a steam radiator for one of my customers. Sandblasted it clean of three layers of paint and primed it with Duplicolor Hot Rod Gray engine paint from my local NAPA. Figure this...those three layers were old oil based paint probably from a hardware store back when. We have alot of resources today for hi-temp paint. Hopefully you live in a state were there are no paint restrictions. You should be able to locate your color of choice or even try on-line at Summit Racing where they have numerous brands of good quality hi-temp engine paint.
  • docancho
    High Heat paint?

Since its hot water heating, I do not think high heat paint is required.

I keep water temperature in boiler at 180-190 degrees and high quality oil based should be able to withstand.

I read that fellow members use also non-high heat paint and do not have any issues with it. key part is that cannot be standard but high quality paint.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Hmmm

The manufacturer recommends oil over latex primer? I'm not a painter, but that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. I was told, long ago, that the oil would eat up the water-base.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Oil Base

As well, with oil base paint your house will smell awful and probably off-gas when heated.

Rob
  • docancho
    oil based or enamel is recommended

per manufacturer, baseboards are primed with a latex (water based) paint and must be painted with a high grade oil or solvent base enamel...

looks as enamel would be better choice to prevent smell when radiators get hot.
  • docancho
    Impervo

would you recommend I use High Gloss or Satin finish?

my thought is High Gloss might be easier to clean, maintain, etc.