Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The dreaded Entran

Lynne
Lynne Member Posts: 50
New customer with Entran II; was plugged. We've cleared nearly all of it and it is still pliable. Question is: is it beneficial to pipe in a heat exchanger for her? Her boiler is cast iron with cast iron radiators. One of our techs is saying that the boiler water is clear; he thinks that the tubing is breaking down internally and causing the blockage. All of Dan's expertise over the years has said install a heat exchanger if not O2 barrier tubing...

Thanks..

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Heat exchanger

Of course you will need a heat exchanger or the problem will never stop.

The real question is how do you keep it from plugging up?

What is really plugging the tubes?

If it is really the tubing falling apart, you have a bigger problem.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Heat-x

I can't see what good a heat exchanger will do with cast iron radiators . It will stop the boiler from seeing the oxygen but not the radiators .
    bob
  • Lynne
    rubber tubing plugging up

After a Rhomar cleaning treatment to the system, the water in the boiler is very clear but the tubing is where the problem is. Now we're wondering if it is the rubber breaking down, in which case the heat exchanger won't help again... Any problems with plugging rubber?

thanks
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Entran

Is the Entran used for a separate radiant zone from the the cast iron rads or is it run to the cast iron rads as a piping replacement? If it is a separate zone you should use a heat exchanger and non-ferrous components for that zone. If it is run to the rads use an oxygen inhibitor. Contact Rhomar for the correct product. As well, let the customer know that the chemical treatment needs to be maintained annually. This is the best solution barring a re-pipe.

Rob
  • Lynne
    heat exchanger or not

The entran is a separate radiant zone; not used for the radiators. We're just wondering of the life expectancy of the entran; is it worth putting in a heat exchanger at this point? I think since we are new to the job, that would be our recomendation; the way we would have installed it had we done it originally. So then she wouldn't need to keep up with annual chemical treatment. Thanks for your insight on thisl
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Entran

You said it's still pliable, the stuff that was plugging it was probably a biological growth. Did it stink when the system was first opened up? I would go with the heat exchanger (I would still use an oxygen inhibitor on the Entran side just for extending the life of the tubing).

Rob
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Is it

In a slab, or staple up? The lower the operating temperature, the less the o2 ingress, run the fluid temperature as low as possible. Use a Rhomar or Fernox product to provide O 2 scavengers. Hard to know if or when it could fail. I would add a dirt separator, not a Y strainer. This will separate any particles without restricting flow like a Y strainer can.

Check it yearly, especially the level of protection in the hydronic conditioners you add. Both brands have test kits available.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream