Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Wirsbo Maifold - retire line and cap

Options
Werner
Werner Member Posts: 2
I need to retire one line in my old Wirsbo manifold* (See attached picture). It seems simple to just cap the respective part with a brass cap (what is that - 1"?). But what should I do about the bottom portion, where the valve is? take the valve out? How?

thanks

Comments

• Werner
    Werner Member Posts: 2
    Options
    footnote

* For those who are interested, this is a snow melt that will go away because we redo the roof
  • JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    Options
    leave it

You don't need to remove the valve from the other side of the header, just leave it there (presuming it's not leaking). It's not hurting anything, and you're more likely to cause leaks by trying to pull it and seal the hole.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Manifold

As far as the zone valve goes, you can either leave it or unscrew and remove the head. You don't want to remove the valve itself.

The tubing is going into a compression fitting. A pipe cap will not match up. You might be better off capping the PEX.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited March 2014
    Options
    They make a cap for this...

or at least they MADE a cap for this. I think it was a QS32 cap. Not certain of the part number, but Uponor should be able to tell you and then you can find one through a whole saler.

EDIT: Went on line and found it at PEX Supply

http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Uponor-A2080020-Loop-End-Cap-3725000-p

$5.15 each. It is an R20 thread, not standard pipe size. Make sure you get it with the gasket.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Is there?

Are snowmelt systems used for roofs? I can see where it could come in handy in some areas where there is heavy snowfall, however I have never heard it discussed here.

Rob
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Yep...

I did a design.consultation job in Telluride (To hell you ride) Colorado that had its drip line dead center of a city side walk. The owner was lawyer and knew of the hazards of icicles falling at terminal velocity. We designed a whole roof melting system that keep the snow as a liquid, and also had snowmelt in the sidewalk to avoid freezing accumulation.

I've also used it as a heat trace to keep storm sewers from freezing and clogging. It;s a LOT easier to use electric for these sorts of app, but hey, if you've got them, smoke them :-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.