Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ornate Cast Iron Radiators

Edbrown
Edbrown Member Posts: 8
I have 8 ornate radiators - 3 tube, 9" x 37.5" tall. 

(2) 5 section

(2) 7 section

(2) 8 section

(2) 9 section

Also have small square 3 tube 3.5" x 25" tall -  12 section

And a square 6 tube 8" x 31.5" tall.  15 section - 26" long

Located - near Syracuse Ny - could deliver.  Asking $1100 for the lot or BO - will seperate.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Nice

Those are steam only, so you may want to focus on selling to someone renovating a steam system.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Edbrown
    yes steam

Yes they are steam, single pipe.  I recently saw a "manifold" being sold that would screw into the single radiator port and allow a supply and return water line to be connected to the port.  The internal portion of the manifold would extend into the radiator and had orfices/jets that would allow hot water circulation inside a typically one pipe/tap radiator.  Cant seem to find the link now..........
  • Edbrown
    converting from steam to hot water

Here are the manifolds I mentioned.  I have NOT used them.  Talk to the rep, and they seem like they would work.  Quoted them on a job, but did not get it.

http://www.hydronicalternatives.com/getattachment/16707372-633d-4cff-a1c4-357fcfcaa8ef/Steam-to-Hot-Water-Conversion-Valve.aspx 

Anyone out there use these at all, to convert from single pipe steam to hot water?
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    you miss undestand the issue

the tops are not connected across, they are steam only radiators. The valve by oventrop does not make these work on a forced water system.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    What Charlie said

Hence the fact that there is no boss in the top to tap a vent, strictly steam.

Rob
  • Edbrown
    tops

I am trying to learn - never looked that close at radiators. 

I see mine are "connected" at the top - but looks like just bolted thru the sections.

I think you are referring to a full push nipple at the top, which would be much bigger.......which would allow the water to circulate at the top of the sections...??
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Top Nipples

That's correct. Your rads only have bottom nipples and therefore can only be used on steam. The Oventrop valve won't change that. It's purpose is to allow both supply and return to enter from one point so the rad won't have to be tapped from the other end.

Rads with top nipples are compatible with steam or hot water.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Edbrown
    thanks

ironman,

thanks for the info!!  Im sure it has saved me a lot of agravation in the future!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Wish I was closer to Syracuse!

Those look pretty nice and still have the valves attached!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Pierce

Very nice! Here are the ratings:
    Retired and loving it.