Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Only half the burners are lit

Kjmass1
Kjmass1 Member Posts: 241
So I noticed today that only half of the burners were fully on. The left half has small pilot like flames but they don't pump up when turned on. Any ideas? Boiler is probably 20+ years old. Creates steam no problem as is.

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    edited March 2014
    By the looks of the flames you have a

pressure problem. The flames should be much higher on the three burners lit with low flames, that would also cause the other burners to not light some times which is dangerous. You need to have gas pressures checked with a "U' Tube manometer or digital manometer which ever the tech you call has. Is this natural gas or LP?
  • Kjmass1
    We have natural gas

Is this pressure issue from the gas mains, or something internal to the boiler? We recently had a Nat gas line run for our range. It had a pressure meter hooked up to it when it was signed off for our rough in inspection.

The new line is currently capped so I can't see it impacting pressure. I also don't know if it has ever worked correctly.
  • Tim McElwain
    Is your natural gas service

low pressure or high pressure ( HP has a regulator at the meter) low pressure has no regulator?

Depending on low or high pressure it could possibly be undersized house piping, it could be the service or main if low pressure. In the case of high pressure it could be the regulator. I would get hold of your local utility and have them look at it. 
  • Kjmass1
    No idea

No idea on LP or HP....

National grid actually came out a couple weeks ago for a safety inspection as we just recently purchased. I imagine they would have said something if it was undersized. I'm assuming it is original to the home from 1940s.

Is there anything in the boiler that could be causing this? Boiler was recently turned off for a couple days and we just noticed this when it was re-lit.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Was the boiler gas valve shut off

when they pressure tested the gas line? Where in Mass are you?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Kjmass1
    Not sure....

But we've had heat throughout so I imagine it was on?

I'm located 20 min outside of Boston. Anyone you could recommend to take a look?

Is it dangerous to run as is?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Listen to Tim

Just a homeowner here, but I would also call the utility first.  I have had them to my house before to just check on things and they typically don't charge anything and honestly they shouldn't.  They want your gas working properly and safely.  Start with them and if everything checks out with them then move onto something else.  Just my opinion as a homeowner.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    I would call the gas company

you can use the contractor locator just to te right of the wall tab above. If that does not get you someone call me.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Kjmass1
    Thank you.

I'll keep you posted.
  • Kjmass1
    Does this help?

Here are a couple pics. I've turned off the thermostat for now.
  • Tim McElwain
    Your system is

low pressure gas, typically you are getting about 6 to 10 inches water column pressure (slightly less than 1/2 a pound of pressure. These systems can have problems with pressure in the street. Such things as do you live at the end of a dead end street or a cul-de-sac can all affect the gas pressure. Once again the gas utility should b e able to assist you with that end of problem. I am sure if you hook up with Charlie he can help you with anything else that may be wrong.
  • Kjmass1
    Good to know.

I'll reach out to our utility company. Thanks for your help!