Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GB-142 outdoor reset?

Options
Dave_22
Dave_22 Member Posts: 232
Is the GB-142 able to outdoor reset on it's own with the AM-10 module? It has a connection for the outdoor sensor but doesn't say anything else on how to set it up.

Also, do you have to use a pump relay module with the AM-10 or can you keep the secondary circulator wired into the GB boiler itself on the PZ (terminals 13&14).

It's really a bummer that anything you want to do takes extra components!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,378
    edited March 2014
    Options
    AM10

The AM10 controls outdoor reset and communicates with the boiler. The OD sensor must connect to th AM10.

I posted detailed instructions for this very recently for someone. Search my posts and you should find it.

The AM10 has nothing to do with the pumps.

The "PZ" terminals are for a domestic hot water re-circulation pump, not space heating. You can piggyback on to the "PK" terminals for a system circ provided that both circ's draw less than 5 amps combined.

All of this is in the applications manual for the 142. Are you using it? It sounds like you're fixing to make some serious mistakes with that boiler. Please, read the manual.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Dave_22
    edited March 2014
    Options
    outdoor reset

I realized i typed too quick in my original post. I meant outdoor reset "without" the AM-10 module. And i wasn't on the PZ terminals as i assumed, i am connected in parallel with the primary circ.

your manual is quite a bit newer then mine. Mine is 5/2005

on mine---

Schematic page 26:

FA-outdoor temperature sensor

Page 24:

FA terminal- "this is the terminal where you connect the outdoor reset sensor. Only necessary for outdoor weather responsive systems"

Why is there FA terminals right on my main board??

My systems been in operation for 8+ years. I'm just trying to figure out how to use outdoor reset and somehow have night time setback. I'm using the RC-10 now and it works ok, but i don't have many options for dialing this thing in. Unless i want to spend BIG dollars on an RC-35.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,378
    Options
    Nite Setback...

Is not a good idea with a mod/con that has OD reset. It is actually counter-productive to what the boiler programming is trying to accomplish and will result in decreased efficiency and comfort.

Get the OD reset curve set properly based upon an accurate heat loss calc and leave the thermostat at one temp. You cannot use both the RC10 and the AM10 together. You need a standard heating thermostat.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Dave_22
    edited March 2014
    Options
    outdoor reset

I know i can't use the RC-10 and AM-10 together-thx.

what is the purpose of outdoor sensor connection directly on the boiler? In what type of configuration is it used in?

And, do you think using outdoor reset is more efficient than using night/day setback? I would setback the temp 15 hours a day while at night/work.