Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plumbing question

I've got a customer with old, galvanized pipes. It's a rental house and the money is not there for a re-pipe, but the mineral debris from the pipes keep clogging the kitchen faucet. Other than a wye strainer, does anyone know of something like a small in-line filter like a fuel filter that would work here?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Same question!

I was just going to ask a similar question in the plumbing section. I hope someone answers. I still may post my mystery plumbing issue, but this sounds like it could be a solution.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Cartridge filters

I like the Pentek DGD-7525 for this.
  • M Lane
    M Lane Member Posts: 123
    edited February 2014
    Even simpler:

Remove the aerator, or at least the guts.

Sounds like a *meh* house anyways, so who cares.

Next option would be the simplest, cheapest water filter you can get from a big box store.

Remember, re-piping in Aqua-Pex is far less costly than copper.
  • The tenants

want a pullout spray faucet and almost everything is getting clogged; the check valves in the spray head and the what-seems-to-be quarter in hose from the mixing valve to the spray head.

Maybe I should buy a good, old fashioned Chicago faucet.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Pull Out Faucets & Debris:

Always a problem with Pull-Outs and the back flow check. And what gets by that (not much) becomes a problem for the faucet strainer. They make small under counter  water filters but they need to be changed regularly, depending on how much debris is in the water. You need one on both the hot (which must be rated for hot water) and a cold filter.

You bring back fond memories of over 40 years ago when the two most important tools for turning on houses with galvanized pipes were a hammer and a straightened out coat hanger. I used to keep a hanger in an obscure closet with a note on it. "Please don't throe out. Special custom plumbing tool specific to this house". If you looked for a new hanger, it would be a no rust one with the cardboard tube across the bottom so as not to rust the garment.

That's what makes you appreciate stops under fixtures. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    EverPure

is what I use under my sinks, we have old galvie pipe also. Basically it just moves the problem upstream :)

But I get about 1 year out of the filters and spin on a new one.

All sorts of options for cartridges, and large capacity versions. Mine have some carbon to remove some iron odor.

www.filtersfast.com is a good place to look at a wide array of filter choices. And they don't forget to remind you when it's time to stock up1
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Coat Hangers and Solder

A roll of solder works well for snaking debris out of a hose. I tried that on this faucet, but couldn't get through.

I remember those cardboard tubes on the coat hangers, but put them to different use when I was a kid. I mixed saltpeter, carbon, sulfur and aluminum powder together and packed it into a 5" piece of the cardboard tube with packed aluminum foil at each end and an underwater fuse; sold them for 25 cents at school. BIG BOOM! Can't do that now.