Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace will run 3 cycles then shut off! Help!

Cassie6120
Cassie6120 Member Posts: 2
My oil furnace will run (after I press reset button, will not kick on by itself) for 3 cycles and the on the fourth cycle it will run but there will be no flame on the 4th time then it will shut down. After this nothing works, it will not even kick on when hitting reset button. We have replaced both the air filter and oil filter, the nozzle, the eye that watched for a flame, the box with the reset button, we've set the electrodes, made sure our flu was clear, and we have oil. It's been extremely cold so when it does kick on after hitting the reset button it runs constant to catch back up. Could we be overheating? I'm not sure it's the thermostat because we hear a click when we try to move the temp. Any suggestions would help!! Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    I've never been a fan

of do it yourself oil burner trouble shooting.  To do it properly takes the proper test equipment -- and some experience.  See if you can find a good tech!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    could be many things

much more info is needed, but mainly you should get a tech to test rather than purchase parts that you don't need. It could be a bad motor, fuel pump, plugged strainer, worn coupling, bad fuel solenoid, bad electrodes, transformer/ignitor, shorting cad cell wiring, bad adjustments, etc, etc, etc. 
  • Cassie6120
    Cassie6120 Member Posts: 2
    Help cont...

We've had a local tech come out to look and he's stumped. He is the one who suggested all the parts we have replaced, we aren't just randomly buying things and replacing them. We can't afford for a big company tech to come out I just figured I would post on here for any advice...
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    He's stumped?

It would be cheaper to hire a pro. Parts are not cheap-controls, etc. Nozzles, filers, and tune-up parts are a wise investment, but electrical parts are not returnable. Best not to purchase parts for means of troubleshooting. Some Fan/timer boards can also cause this, depending on your furnace brand/model. Best of luck to you. It is hard to steer you to an exact cause without much more info
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    "Local Tech's":

If "I" lived where you live and was in business doing what I did, I would be considered a "Local Tech". I wouldn't be stumped. The world is full of trial and error mechanics. I'm not one of them. Your "local Tech" is one.

It would be cheaper to hire someone that is experienced in what you need. Not someone that needs experience doing what you need.