Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Jumper thermostat contacts - ZoneTrol II

Options
<span style="font-size:12pt">I have a B & G ZoneTrol II with 6 zones. One zone operates radiant floor tubing in a small bathroom. The radiant floor tubing in the bathroom never generates sufficient heat to satisfy the radiant thermostat by itself because of the size of the bathroom and the placement of the thermostats in the adjacent bedroom (bedroom and bathroom are both heated by forced air on a single zone). This situation is fine as the radiant flooring provides comfortable floor warming while the forced air heats the bedroom and bathroom.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Question, I would like to install a programmable timer to control the water flow to the bathroom radiant floor tubing, which would replace an Uponor 2-wire radiant thermostat. The timer would close the circuit essentially placing a jumper across the thermostat contacts in the ZoneTrol. The programmable timer would be independently powered. Is there any danger in placing a jumper across the thermostat contacts in the ZoneTrol? Do I need to add any resistance to the circuit?</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Thanks,</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">JKL</span>

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Jumper

You won't hurt anything with a jumper.It is designed for a t-stat which is a simple switch.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • JKL
    JKL Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks Zman,

I was unsure what the system expects from a 2-wire thermostat because I do not completely understand how they function. It appears the thermostat is stealing power from the circuit, but no enough to energize the zone.

Thanks again,

JK
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Stealing

T-stats are switches.

Some will steal a little power to power their own display.

Older ones have anticipators that draw energy in order to heat the thermostat slightly in order to anticipate the room warming.

Unless they are part sophisticated control system, t-stats are first and foremost,  switches.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Why not.....

....instal a floor sensor thermostat in the radiant bathroom ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all