Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wiring an am10

Nasdaqsam
Nasdaqsam Member Posts: 27
I have another thread going on and didn't want to get too far off topic in that one.

In case you have not read the other thread. I am not a boiler guy.

The wiring diagram that came with the unit is not real clear. Can someone tell me how the unit gets wired in?

For that matter do I even Thanneed the AM10 or can the outside sensor be wired to the boiler as shown in the Buderus manual?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    IOM

Caveat:  I have limited Buderus experience.  There are folks here who work with them regularly.

Page 7 of http://www.buderus.us/files/201208201450530.0072186100_AM10_Installation%20and%20operating%20instructions_en_07-2010.pdf shows the outdoor temperature sensor connecting to the OTS terminals.
  • Nasdaqsam
    am10

I saw that in the manual but it shows an outdoor sensor can be wired direct to the boiler or through the AM10 I am wondering if it is required at all or if there is any benefit to my system. The wiring diagram is not real clear either way.

Thanks
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    AM10

Remove the cover from the boiler. Then you'll notice there are two square blank areas right behind the BC10 boiler control. The AM10 will snap into either one for mounting. The display of the AM10 will be upside down as you face the boiler. Don't ask why.

Then, locate the wiring harness running left to right just behind where the AM10 is now mounted. If you dig into it deep enough, you'll find two black wires with a plug connector not attached to anything. Plug that into the "bus" or "BC" terminals of the AM10.

Next, connect the outdoor sensor to the "OTS" terminals of thAM10.

Finally, connect the two wires from your thermostat "RW" or the two wires from your pump control's end switch (usualy "XX") to the two middle terminals of the AM10.

All connections go to the AM10.

Next, properly set the reset curve on the AM10 remembering that whatever temp you set the boiler dial to becomes the max temp that the curve calculates from.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Nasdaqsam
    edited January 2014
    Am10

Ironman, I worked on the am10 before I saw your reply. I mounted it on the wall (I can do as you suggested later). I then wired the sensor in as you said, ran the wires to the RC terminal on the boiler and the last went to the pump controller. It seems to be working ok. With an outside temp of 28 I noticed with one zone calling it does not come to full temp.

As for the settings I left them at factory for now. The max is 167. I set the boiler to auto is that right?
  • Ironman
    Am10

That will work. Do you have any high temp emitters? If so, you may need 180* water at design temp.
    Bob Boan
  • Nasdaqsam
    Emitters

Not sure what those are but before I bring the temp up I need to resolve the mixing problem I'm having. I have another thread on that. Thanks
  • Ironman
    Emitters:

Radiators, Baseboard, fan coil, in-floor tubing, convectors, etc. What you have to emit heat.
    Bob Boan