Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Heat Question

Options
vabear
vabear Member Posts: 1
Posted on other forums to no avail Recently added (via contractor) baseboard heat to my sun porch (about 15X12, concrete slab floor,brick knee wall, galss on thre sides and roof over). System consists of two Fharenheat model 2408 1500 watt 240 volt heaters,12/2 wiring and a 20 amp breaker , controlled by a double pole Honeywell CT  410 wall mount thermostat. The issue I have  is when I turn the system on and go full heat, it atakesabout 5 minutes before I feel any heat, then she goes warm for a few minutes and quickly cools down rests and reheats. This process goes on for a long time, even before the thermostat is satisfied. For example it was +60F on the porch and it took over two hours before the temp reached +70F .. Am I expecting too much and why does she not go full hot at the get go and heat until the T-STAT is satisfied?

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Could Not Find

A model 2408 on a search. Sounds like a safty limit may be opening.
  • 1vabear
    1vabear Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Baseboard heat

She is a 2508, sorry.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Safety

I agree that it sounds like a safety.

Is the heater mounted in a tight spot where it  may be overheating or is it mounted in the open.

Consult the installation instructions if you are unsure.

It seems odd that they are both having the same issue.

This should be pretty straight forward to diagnose with a multimeter.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Make

sure they are not wired in series.
  • Big-D
    Big-D Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Diagnosis

It does sound like a high limit. However the 2nd heater should still work unless it is wired directly off the load side of the high limit switch. Are they relatively close to one another?

Some thermostats have a limitation on the amount of current they can pass through its switch contacts. Make sure your t-stat can carry the full 12.5 amps @240volts VAC. Most likely not the problem but worth looking into.

You could try TEMPORARILY bypassing the thermostat to see if the baseboards continue to heat with out hi limiting. It should only take 30 minutes to test. If they operate fine then it is your thermostat. If not then we need to take that fork in the road and look at wiring from the t-stat back to the electric baseboard. Remember to switch the wires back through the t-stat

yes, a handy and trusty volt meter will tell you what is going on-

good luck