Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

balancing the system

I am wondering what would be the most viable way to balance the heating system through out the 1 st floor.

I am installing a mod/con boiler with primary/secondary piping with a reverse return system. The house is over 100 years old and my concern is over the years people have modified the rooms and moved the radiators so everything is different now.

All the radiators are cast iron and for example in one room the btu of the radiator is approx 40% more than the heat loss which makes sense, that setup looks like that is the original way it was built.

The next room is break even with btu and heat loss.

Another room the btu of the radiator is approx 25% more than the heat loss.

And another room the btu of the radiator is approx 30% more than the heat loss.

So of corse the room with the break even heat loss will be the coldest, unless i balance the system.

so what is the best way to balance it?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    TRVs on each radiator

will make short work of this.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Add

another radiator to the coldest room, if possible. The system will like that fix the best.
  • ?

what about a manifold with flow meters? hook up all radiators with half inch pex tubing to the manifold?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Trv

I like the TRV method best.

Flow valves would also work. You will spend a bit of time getting it dialed in.

With TRVs, it is automatic and infinitely adjustable.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Ditto

TRVs.
  • Paul48
    OK

If I told you I was going to install a mod/con in an 1800 sq/ft colonial, and I wanted to make it 14 zones. What would you say?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    You

Would have awful small zones, or rooms. Still TRVs.
  • Paul48
    I

would add the radiation to the cold room. Balance the over-radiation with flow valves, and take advantage of the colder supply temps. Letting the mod/con handle the heat load of the whole structure. I would, however add TRVs to the bedrooms, if the homeowner liked sleeping in colder temps.