Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco ZVC help

I have a Taco ZVC 406 that I am using to control a Prestige Solo 110 boiler.  I also have an indirect DHW tank. I need to figure hoe to wire the 3 so I have the indirect in the priority mode. now I did call Triangle tube & they said just wire the indirect into the solo cause it has DHW priority. I did that however when the tstat calls for heat the it will open the zone valves & both the zones & the indirect will run at the same time> I need to wire it properly to fix this.  .any help would be great.      Thank you Dax

Comments

• quack24
    quack24 Member Posts: 74
    which

zone is the dhw wired to it should be on zone 6 and priority should be set to on
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Piping

Are you piped per the TT manual or is the dhw a heating zone?

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Dax
    Dax Member Posts: 7
    Zone

I have the 110 piped primary secondary. The indirect is just like the pipe diag. I have the tt from the indirect to the 110 11 & 12. That's how the tech told me to wire it, he said the 110 has a DHW priority built in.  Also I noticed that the mode button will not work to ck the program.     Thanks  Dax.
  • Zman
    Non Trimax

The older TT boilers were set up to run DHW priority right out of the box. The one thing that often you would change is setting up the DHW sensor instead of an aquastat and setting a DHW timeout.

If the mode button won't work, you have a problem.

Have you tried cycling the boiler and using the reset button? Is something jamming the button?

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Any chance there has been water intrusion?

At least with the older (non-TriMax) boilers, water running down the front of the unit can get into the control panel and render the buttons, um, dodgy.  Don't ask me how I know this.
  • Dax
    Taco control

I am going to wire the indirect into the taco control & then to TT on the solo 110. I will wire the DHW per  the taco wiring. As for the display control I called tech support & he told me how to ck that out, so I will do that today.     I thank everyone for your help.           Dax
  • Zman
    TT

I would not set one up that way.

If you wire through the boiler, you can use a sensor for the dhw. The boiler then can manage the water temp giving you great flexibility and better efficiency. The DHW timeout feature allows the boiler to return to heating in the event a long DHW call or malfunction.

That boiler should be running an outdoor reset curve for max efficiency. Reset curves wont work well with  DHW production on the heating side.

This is not a hard thing to do. Work with tech support or this forum to set it up right. You have a very nice boiler. Do not compromise it.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • Dax
    Taco & 110

Carl.    I did have the outdoor reset wired in but the house was always cold. So i disconnected it. At this point I have the DWH wired to the Taco priority & out of 1 &2 to the solo 11 & 12. I have 3 & 4 jumped. The heat circ is wired to the extra end switch on the Taco. The DHW is wired to the solo 4,5 & 6. How would you wire the Taco & Solo to work effectively? I really do appreciate the help I receive as I do want to have the unit working correctly.     Thank you Dax.
  • Zman
    Dhw and reset

Right now you are allowing the prestige to control dhw priority. Since the taco is also controlling it, you cannot use the dhw timeout feature.

The best way to run this is to replace the indirect aquastat with a triangle tube sensor. This way the boiler can read the actual tank temp and respond accordingly. You just wire the sensor to 11 and 12 and change the perimeters on the controller. If you do not want to install the sensor, you can just wire the aquastat to 11and 12, eliminating the need for the taco.

As for outdoor reset, it is great! The default settings a re probably not correct for your system. What type of heaters do you have? What is you coldest design day?

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • Dax
    Taco

Carl.   I understand what you mean. but the wiring it that way the tstats  & the DHW then call at the same time. That's why I was using the taco for the priority. I have 3/4 copper baseboard. I will try to adjust the parameters. I just want the DHW & the system circ to be independent of one another.   Thank you  Dax.  
  • Zman
    Priority

Dax,

It doesn't matter if they both call at the same time.

If the triangle tube is set up correctly, it will prioritize. It will also allow you to set a time out feature to prevent heating issues.

With the sensor you can adjust more.

For the heat curve, 160 on the coldest day and 120 on the warmest would be a good starting point. I really depends on how the baseboards were sized.

Your controller is very smart and has some great features. It is kind of a pain to program at first.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • Dax
    Taco

Carl. The BB was sized for the house. 4 diff zones. I have been trying to set it up but the install book don't seem to get into a lot of detail, a least not for me. Can u please give me a somewhat first setup then I can fine-tune it further. I just need to get a start. I would help a great deal.  Thank you Dax 
  • Zman
    Parameters

I am assuming you have a type 5?

http://www.triangletube.com/documents/33/Tpe%205%20MCBA%20Addendum%20Instructions.pdf

Parameter 4 would be 160

Parameter 10 would be 120

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • Dax
    Taco

Carl. Thanks for all your help.  I did get the solo set up good, it is working very good  now. I will still refine it as the days go by.  Again thank you.  Dax