Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace won't start after oil delivery

celfan
celfan Member Posts: 1
I have a combo oil/wood furnace. I had 300 gallons of oil delivered yesterday (I have two

225 gallons tanks in the basement). When I turned on the thermostat - nothing. I went downstairs and reset furnace breaker. It was fine. I pressed the restart button on my furnace and the fan turned, but no flame at all. I definitely did not run out of oil before the delivery. Furnace was working fine right up to delivery.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    No flame...

equals no air, no ignition, or no oil.  Whichever it is, I hope two things:

First, that you pressed that reset button once, and ONLY once.  Otherwise, if and when you get the problem fixed, you are in for a very loud noise, if nothing worse.

Second, I hope that either you are a qualified burner technician, or that you get a qualified burner technician in to troubleshoot and fix the problem.  I admit that my first guess is a clogged filter -- but the only person who should work on a burner is a qualified tech., in my humble opinion.  I personally will work on almost anything else -- but not a burner.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Also

1. Could have already been off on safety.

2. Could have been running when you received the delivery, the driver blasted the fuel in on high speed (actual doesn't have to be high speed), stirred up the crud in the bottom, clogged line and/or filter.

Either way, gonna need a service call.
    steve
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    could be

a dozen different causes. I would not reset it anymore, and call a professional.
  • conversiontime
    conversiontime Member Posts: 87
    old tank?

I would go with crud or air in the line. Close the tank to burner line valve, remove the oil filter and check to see if clogged. If fine then bleed the line at the burner pump by opening the release valve a little then running the pump until only oil runs out (catch the spraying oil in a can or other cup, then close the bleed valve).  One problem is the crud may have already gotten into the nozzle. If so that will likely need to be switched out.

It is strange the system did not fire at least once. Generally crud or air in line will result in burner stuttering or hesitating repeatedly before shutting down.
This discussion has been closed.