Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CSST

Options
I got this in an email from a friend and associate in the business and wanted to share it with all of you that may work with CSST.

[<strong>The following information appeared in Joe Rose’s PGANE Weekly Membership Update, and we wanted to alert you.  </strong>

<strong>I wanted to bring something to your attention that is concerning.  It has been reported by a New England marketer that in the last week they have run into identical problems where a house has not held pressure during a leak test.  What was found was both of these had flood damage and the gas lines were submerged during last year's floods!  The water got inside the jacket of the CSST gas pipe and eventually corroded the pipe.  I recommend alerting all customers who had flooding and urge them to have all wrapped gas piping tested and possibly replaced if it has flooded in the recent past.</strong>

<strong>This is the first time I had heard about this and wanted to pass it along!   Maybe at a minimum add this to your duty to warn mailing.]</strong>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• LPGasman
    LPGasman Member Posts: 18
    Options
    CSST

I am curious what brand CSST? I thought stainless wasn't supposed to rust/corrode. Usually the CSST leaks I find during a Gas Check are due to joints that weren't cut smoothly by the installer
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    Here is something from

manufacturer:

UPDATE - QUESTIONS ABOUT TRACPIPE EXPOSED TO FLOODWATERS

TracPipe® and TracPipe® CounterStrike® are manufactured from 300 series stainless steel.  Floodwaters contain chemicals or contaminants that are corrosive to THE GAS PIPING SYSTEM, INCLUDING the RIGID STEEL PIPE AND CORRUGATED stainless steel gas piping system. 

TracPipe or TracPipe CounterStrike AND ALL RIGID STEEL PIPE COMPONENTS IN THE PIPING SYSTEM that have been exposed to flood water, must be replaced. 

Other gas equipment should be thoroughly inspected and their manufacturer contacted before returning them to service.

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the info Tim. You Rock! 

By the way I got your email and I hope to get caught up on replying to emails this weekend. it's not even that cold and I'm working 60 to 70 hours a week.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    flood damage

Good thread. Just to remind everyone any gas control that has been submerged should be replaced. Ideally, the equipment will get replaced as it is difficult to properly clean out many burners plus everything else and now you may have rusted out components and so forth that void the warranty and listing. I know electrical wiring that was submerged is being replaced in NJ as is ductwork and all equipment.  I did one house for a friend in a crawlspace. Just know that you're crawling around in an area where sewers backed up so take precautions and wash well even one year later. The soil can harbor all sorts of goobers, mold, and in my case, asbestos.

The good news is, a lot of really scary systems are being discovered and corrected/ improved. The bad news is, a lot of systems are being made scary by unqualified/ unethical contractors. Most of the work at the Jersey shore is going on un-inspected.
This discussion has been closed.