Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat a Remote Camp

zvalve
zvalve Member Posts: 83
Any thoughts on how to heat a remote uninsulated cabin, not on the grid, during the months of May to November. It is on Martha's Vineyard and even during July and August it can get incredibly damp and foggy so a good source of heat like a wood stove, which I had been using but more about that later, was a welcome respite from the damp and with the door open it never got too hot. The insurance company nixed the use of a wood stove unless the chimney was moved to the center of the structure. I know, move the chimney and the stove but it would cut down dramatically on living space.

Comments

• Steamfitter66
    Steamfitter66 Member Posts: 117
    What type of fuel

What would you like to use for fuel?..I assume it would have to be wood, coal, oil, or LP gas.
  • zvalve
    Heat a Remote Camp

Wood, propane or passive solar
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Propane

Would a small propane stove make sense?

It would take no electrical power.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • zvalve
    Heat a Remote Camp

I have a Little Buddy heater but is there anything better or more sustainable. I suppose I could use an old stove as an outdoor boiler and rig up a thermosiphoning system with a small tank in the cabin which is above some fined

radiant pipes which eventually return cooler water to the stove  but that seems too complicated.
  • Steamfitter66
    Steamfitter66 Member Posts: 117
    edited November 2013
    Willliams Furnace

http://www.e-wfc.com/pdf/L1457_High-Efficiency%20Direct-Vent.pdf

this would be a simple way that is quite and requires no electricity.

The issue with solar is when the demand is the highest output is usually nill.

My house has passive solar with thermal storage which complements the radiant floor hydronic system.
  • zvalve
    Williams Furnace

Thanks for the reply. It looks good. I suppose I was trying to get something for nothing with the original post but also naively thought there might be something out there that was overlooked.
This discussion has been closed.