Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which is Better?

Tony Massi
Tony Massi Member Posts: 86
When replacing a gas boiler with a more efficient one which is better as far as the domestic hot water?  To use a indirect water heater that runs off of the new boiler or a separate water heater with it own burner. Its been the theory of  replacing oil fired equipment to use a indirect water heat as to be as efficient as the new boiler.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    The Indirect...

Would be my preference. Especially when the issue of properly venting a separate water heater is factored in. It may be more in up front cost, but you'll have virtually unlimited hot water and no chimney to reline for a separate water heater.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • HomeOwner1
    HomeOwner1 Member Posts: 134
    Another option - Combi Boiler

There are also a bunch of combi boilers that do both hot water and heat in one unit. I am running one in my home and it is very efficient as well. Less infrastructure to maintain and install as well, which usually means the least expensive option too.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Homeowner1

If you are going to recommend products of any kind you should at least put in a few of the qualifiers. You have been involved in enough of the combi boilers discussion to make sure if they are going to consider a combi they should also understand short cycling, DHW GPM and how much they need, and all the other caveats that go with a combi. Nothing more difficult then trying to explain to a customer that a combi doesnt fit there application when they keep saying I read it on the internet.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,375
    Homeowner1

You might also like to know that Navien has pulled the "CH" combi boiler line and is replacing it with a more expensive unit after Jan. 1rst. You won't find this on the web site. My rep just informed me that Navien took back over 400 units from them. No explanation.

Don't get me wrong: we've installed a few with no problems. But why the sudden change with no combi available til next year?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tony Massi
    Tony Massi Member Posts: 86
    Gas Boilers

I was thinking of a Peerless MI series with an indirect or the separate water heater.

How does that rate?
This discussion has been closed.