Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help identifying old Burnham Holiday Series 1 Boiler

Options
andrew3987
andrew3987 Member Posts: 2
Hi, I have an old Burnham Holiday Series 1 Boiler. Gas Boiler # P11-W20. I was wondering if someone could help me determine how old it is? I haven't been able to find any information about it online. Anything you can tell me about this boiler will be helpful.

It still works great, but I'm concerned that it is incredibly inefficient and wasting a lot of gas.

I've attached pictures of the boiler and the info plate. It is hard to see it in the picture, but the plate says:

----------------------------------------------------

Burnham Holiday

Gas Boiler No. P11-W20

Series 1

IBR Ratings

Water BTU/HR 150000

A.G.A Ratings

Input BTU/HR 250000

Output BTU/HR 200000

Equipped for use with natural gas

A.S.M.E Max working pressure

Steam 15 PSJ / Water 30

Min Valve Cap 200

Burnham Corporation

Heating and Cooling Division

Irvington, New York

G4

----------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

Andrew

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    That boiler is probably running

under 70% efficiency as it is pretty old and besides it is a designed gas atmospheric burner system which runs in the range of 60 to 70 % efficiency if in good shape. However if it is running without any problems and you are comfortable take your time and do some research before looking at a new gas boiler. There are all kinds of boilers available with efficiency from 85 all the way up to 95% efficient.
  • andrew3987
    andrew3987 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just try to baby it and make it last another year or two until I can afford a better one.
  • earl burnermann
    earl burnermann Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Do your research now

If I where you I would do as  much research relating to replacing that boiler now. Most people that want to stretch another season or two out of their heating and cooling systems usually run them to failure.

If you do the research now you won't be throwing in a possibly oversized boiler when that day comes. I would recommend getting an energy audit first. That way you know exactly how well your home holds the heat. You may end up saving a few bucks insulating and air sealing your house before the boiler is replaced.

Whether you decide to upgrade your insulation or not, with this information, you will be able to have a manual j heat load calculation done. You will then be able to have the proper sized unit installed when the time comes.

If the boiler is running ok, then here's your chance to get way ahead of the game.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
This discussion has been closed.