Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is existing boiler wrong?

Options
Sammy93
Sammy93 Member Posts: 1
I few years ago I purchased a foreclosed home with in-floor, radiant heat. However the heating bill has always been high and the whole system just doesn't seem right. I'm wondering if the boiler is undersized and causing high heating bills and poor operation.

According to online sites it appears my square footage requires 34,375 BTUs, however my EMB-9 Electro-Boiler is rated for 31,000 BTUs.

Also, my home is a slab home heated exclusively with in in floor heat and has 2 zones. However, an Electro-Boiler PDF suggests the EMB-9 the following uses...

1) lower level, 1 zone - warm floor, also has forced air heating system

2) garage residential 1,000 sq.ft. Max (my house is 1,2500 sq.ft.)

It seems to me I should have the EB-S-13 with 46,000 BTUs... Electro suggests this boiler is to be used as the only heating system for slab on grade.

Is my house fitted with the wrong boiler? Could it also be causing very high heating bills?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Where is this installation?

in most parts of the US -- particularly the northeast -- electric heat is no bargain, no matter what boiler is used...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Electric boiler

As stated electric heat is pretty expensive. Have you checked the voltage in the house? 208/220/230/250 vac ? That voltage is important .
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Is my house fitted with the wrong boiler?

Unless your indoor temp droops on the coldest day of the year, your boiler is not undersized.

What fuel source you should use is a tad more complex.  If you want to know for sure, http://www.eia.gov/neic/experts/heatcalc.xls will help with the math.

This discussion has been closed.