Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Runtal Baseboard: Radiant or Convective?

Scott_V
Scott_V Member Posts: 1
I'm deciding between Runtal UF baseboard (with the fins) and Runtal Wall Panel (also with fins). In certain rooms, baseboard would be more desirable but would be partially blocked by a piano, book case, a few chairs/tables etc....typical living room furniture (No sofa). Runtal's website says their UF baseboard radiators are both radiant and convective. Should I believe them?

Background: I've been told numerous times over the years that RADIANT heating is extremely inefficient when blocked by furniture. If Runtal falls into this category then I would instead go with one of their rectangular wall panels, although less desirable from a design perspective for our tastes.

I'm hoping this question launches a robust debate on convection vs radiant and the effects of furniture on their efficiencies.

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    doesn't matter in some ways

Radiant makes you feel warm. Convection under windows keeps you from feeling cold. Aren't you glad you asked?
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    partially blocked by a piano

If it is a real piano (one with strings in it), you do not want a heat source under it or even too near it. You would be better off heating a room with a real piano in it with a radiant panel setup either on the walls or the ceiling. And use outdoor reset too. And a constant humidity setup. Pianos HATE temperature changes, especially short-term ones such as a week or faster. And they hate humidity changes as well.

If you have an electronic, digital, etc., you can ignore everything I just said.
  • Tim_Hodgson
    Tim_Hodgson Member Posts: 60
    Both

Nuff said.

Tim
This discussion has been closed.