Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

underfloor heating in a multi-family building

I have a an 8 floor, 8 apartment building with underfloor heating. It has central pumps, and no circulator pumps on the individual manifolds (two per apartment). The system is three years old and my super and I performed a system startup for the season. It has never been PM'd. The water was like mud and flow is low.

Question: Is water treatment recommended for these systems, and, is local pumping recommended? We are ready to perform some flow testing as we have had complaints that the residents "don't feel the heat"...we run 160F water (which seems high to me). Any experts out there that can help me?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Where are you located?

sounds like you could really use a proper system evaluation.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    What

tubing was used for the in floor panels ?   Any chance of you allowing us to view the near boiler piping and pumping arrangement ?  And as above where are you located ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    do the tests.

keep the info.

Flush the boiler. flush the system.

take apart the end suction pumps and clean them check impellers for mud and clean them.

flush the flow ports check the system again.

you may have leaks that are causing 0 to infiltrate thru them or air elimination "Bleeders" or non barrier pex or an entrained air source that has successfully worn your impeller off the pump/s.

piping dirt separator/s might help After you do the work and make the corrections . there may be steep learning curve involved in some of these things.

hope that helps where to go with your time and efforts.
This discussion has been closed.