Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water release from boiler

dbm
dbm Member Posts: 5
I have a Burham ESC boiler that was installed over a year ago.  I am occasionaly getting water being discharged by the relief valve after the pump shuts off, though not every cycle.  The pressure when the pump is operating is a constant 20psi.  The installer checked the air cushion tank by "knocking" on it and said it was okay.  He suggested adjusting the pressure on the water feed regulator.

I have adjusted the water feed 1.5 turns counterclockwise and I am getting less water discharge.  Is there a minimum pressure from the auto-feed that I need, and how do I measure the pressure so I do not exceed the minimum?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    A picture..

Can you post a picture that shows the expansion tank , fill valve and circulator?

Tapping on the tank can give a rough idea of it's condition.You cannot get definitive info without pulling it and checking the pressure. What does the gauge read when T&P discharges?

Carl 
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • dbm
    Tank

The entire system including the tank was replaced with the boiler.  The pressure reads 30psi when discharge occurs.  I'll get pics tonight.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Orientation

The orientation of those 3 parts are critical to the performance of the system.

The correct pressure for your system would be the height of the highest point over the gauge x .43 +5.  A two story house might have 20 of system height. That would be 20 x .43 +5 or 13.5 psi. The expansion tank needs to be charged to that pressure as well.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • dbm
    Orientation

Good point.  I'll check the pressure tonight.

Thanks
  • dbm
    orientation

Pressure in the tank = 12psi
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Pressure

Can you take another picture of the tank and circulator?

It looks like the tank/pump are on the return. If this is true, then the pump will increase the boiler pressure. When it heats up, the pressure increases even more, then when the cycle ends and the zone valves close, the pump will spin for a few more seconds, adding more pressure, and blow off the relief valve.
  • dbm
    Configuation

I'll post another pic this weekend.

The pump and tank are on the same run as the zone valves if that helps.

Thanks for your help.
    04090 Member Posts: 142
    edited September 2013
    This may help

I tried linking to a PDF, but it's not going there.  Google this:

amtrol expansion tank install instruction

and it's the first PDF link

==========

Is it installed per these instructions:

www.amtrol.com/.../9015087_11_11_Water_Heater_Expansion_IO.pdf‎
This discussion has been closed.