Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Monoflo tee

hillbille
hillbille Member Posts: 1
I'm donating my services for a family member that has a very limited budget. The house froze last winter and cracked the cast iron header on every convector. I think that the economical solution is to replace the convectors with baseboard. This is a monoflo tee system and my questions are as follows.

1) Will baseboard work with this system?

2) Should I size the baseboard to the heat lost of the space or match the existing convector output?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Answers

1. Yes, the monoflo will work, but there are rules that must be followed. There are guidelines under the "systems" or "resources" tabs above.

2. You need to do a heat loss calc and match the radiation to that. Over-sizing is okay if it's done proportionately, but under-sizing is not.

I would recommend that you look at using panel rads instead of baseboards.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    couple of things...

Your limited on the amount of baseboard heat you can run on a ½" line... apx 12-15 linear feet of baseboard max.

Keep in mind also the monoflow system vents thru the radiator/heat emitter. You want any new lateral lines off the main line to pitch slightly up to the emitter, to help with venting.

Personally I am not a fan of fin baseboard on a monoflow, but there's plenty out there.... they're just tougher to bleed.
This discussion has been closed.