Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is This Gas Installation Really Safe???

Carlston
Carlston Member Posts: 1
National Grid is replacing 1940's gas mains on my street and sleeving house services with yellow plastic pipe. It seems most of the house meters are being moved from the basement to the outside. Problem is, my gas comes in right next to the front door of the house, and the meter would look pretty ugly.

The contractor said, no problem, we can leave the meter where it is. What I didn't realize until I got home for work and they were finishing up is that the old low pressure services are now converted to 60 psi supply in the plastic pipe. I now have a regulator in the basement and 60 psi of gas before it steps it down to .7 inches or so. They did run a vent from the regulator to outside and install an new curb valve shutoff at the grassy strip.

Now I'm second-guessing myself and kind of wish the meter and regulator was outside. Any experts see danger in this type of installation installed in the basement?

On a side note, the meter is a Itron data logging "smart meter" that can be read remotely....wonder what type of info they can snoop out of my daily usage.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    you are fine.....

I may see 2 psi on the supply before the regulator but not 60psi. Even so it would be marked as 2 psi w/ a red regulator... There may be a regulator in the street additionally.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Yes it is safe

the gas company would not put something in that is not safe. They are heavily regulated to say the least. There are many gas services entering dwellings at 50 to 60 PSI and then reducing down at the house regulator to 6" W.C. to 7" W.C. pressure. It is a very typical installation in high pressure areas. This from one who worked for a gas company for 28 years.
  • Gastech40
    Gastech40 Member Posts: 2
    Itron reader

The only info NGrid can get from the remote reader is the meter read when the drive by the house once a month
  • papashawngo
    papashawngo Member Posts: 7
    ?

is the gas pipe coming into the house through the foundation? is it above grade or below? where do you live? do you experience much in winter?

where i am we must bring the pipe above ground before entering a house or foundation with either a flex hose or a swing joint to allow for any movement. we are also only allowed to have a max of 2psi inside a residence, i imagine the pressure is stepped down out near the street like someone had suggested as well.
This discussion has been closed.