Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Plumbers putty or silicone?

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
I'm getting ready to install the new kitchen sink and being this is the first time doing this I'm trying to get prepared and learn all I can before diving in.

I used plumbers putty on the basket strainers and now I've got mixed info on what to use when mounting the sink to the counter.

Another thing I'm unsure of is the faucet is a single hole Delta which has a stainless cover that fits over a plastic spacer and I think it comes with a rubber gasket. I've been told in the past to throw rubber gaskets out and use putty when mounting a faucet?

All opinions and comments are welcome as always.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    Silicone

I'm not a plumber but of the two sinks I tried the putty gave me leaks.  Use Silicone and plenty of it.  Good luck.  It's not hard to remove, but takes time to cure. 
  • ChrisJ
    Leaks?

Thank you for your response.

I'm assuming you are referring to using silicone to seal the sink to the counter and not the basket strainers?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Sam81
    Sam81 Member Posts: 37
    Sink installation

Use silconized caulk to install the sink enough the it should squeeze out when's tightening the clips, and silicon between the strainer and sink and wiped then with a dry towel and ready to use
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    putty

if using putty on marble make sure you get the right type made especially for marble.clear silicone is good for fitting sink,putty also maybe its a choice of preference.i usually use putty and always use putty on strainer(easier to remove in the future.)
  • Boiler Talk
    Boiler Talk Member Posts: 136
    Silicone it all

I'm assuming you are referring to using silicone to seal the sink to the counter and not the basket strainers?

Nope, I meant the whole thing.  Good luck. 
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    anybody try liquid gasket ?

I haven't but I intend to.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    putty on strainers and silicone on rims

silicone is NOT for strainers. if it leaks with putty sorry guys you did it wrong. I have been using putty to install basket strainers since I was 6 and it is the right product for the job. That is 36 years of installing with putty. I also use good quality strainers. The one with the zinc nuts should just be left in the box they come in and thrown away.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • ChrisJ
    edited July 2013
    Yep

After doing it I have to agree with Mr Garrity.

Putty on the strainers worked great. On the rim of the sink however, I ended up with small gaps on all 4 corners and you can see the putty.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    putty vs sillycone

Since the strainer is considered replaceable, use putty. It has worked for generations. Sealing the basin to the counter should be silicone unless expressly forbidden by the counter fabricator. Choose the correct silicone, though. Acid cure silicones are suitable for thin joints where it won't corrode the adjoining materials and acts as an adhesive. Thicker joints >1/16" or so should be a neutral cure silicone which is better at gap filling but not very adhesive. When laid in a thick bed, acid cure silicones tend to skin over without curing the inside. Neutral cure will cure throughout quickly. Make sure the caulk is NSF approved. If you really hate silicones like me, you might consider a polyurethane caulk instead.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.