Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

indirect tank size

polo735
polo735 Member Posts: 9
I have decided to Install a Buderus gb142-30 with matching buderus indirect dhw. My contractor has suggested a 32 gal indirect hot water tank. Im not sure if this will be enough for our needs. We have 2 showers(one is a shower/tub), and a clothes washer. We plan on adding a dishwasher at some point. At this time it is just my wife and myself but we are expecting our first child later this year.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Buderus s120...

Is more than sufficient for your needs - unless you have a George Jetson shower. We've installed many without any complaints. You'll be getting the full boiler output (about 97k btu's) instead of the 32k btu's that most gas tank heaters produce.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited May 2013
    You will be fine

that tank makes plenty of water for a few bathrooms... I have done that same install literally over 50 times!!! Not one complaint... The most important part is to make sure the boiler is sized to your home correctly...

Congrats on the baby, a baby and a Buderus in 1 year, LUCKY, good stuff...
  • polo735
    polo735 Member Posts: 9
    buderus

I didn't consider that the boiler would be able to heat the water much more effectively than a stand alone water heater. That makes me feel better about possibly running short on hot water.

Would there be any issues with the boiler "short cycling" during the times when the only load is the water heater?

Thanks for the well wishes. Im hoping baby will be very comfortable this winter with the new heating setup.

Cheers
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    That boiler knows how to heat water

short cycling is when the boiler runs for a short time shuts off for a short time and runs again for a short time, your boiler may run for a short time to satisfy the DHW load only {not usually though, it should be around 10 minutes or so if you use a delta t circ it helps believe it or not} and then it will be off for a long time and run again when the tank needs more heat... It will not short cycle...

that is a time tested and very well made combination, just make sure your water has been tested, and you continue to keep the water clean and unit serviced, it will last a long time and make you very comfortable....
This discussion has been closed.