Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Length Confusion

Spock
Spock Member Posts: 7
I find in various design guides references to the distance between the circulator, branch fittings and 90 degree fittings. But in practice what I see is components placed as close together as possible. This is particularly true in some of the integrated component structures where mounting flanges, tempering valves, check valves and branch fittings are all cast into a single component and designed to attach directly to a circulator.

An example is a design guide that says branches should be no closer than 8 pipe diameters from the circulator outlet, 90 degree fittings should be no closer than 6 pipe diameters from a circulator or branch, etc.

So which is it: Make it compact or follow the design guide? If the answer is follow the guide, then why do the compact designs work?

Comments

• Spock
    guess there is such a thing as a dumb question after all

Hmmm. It would seem that either I've asked a really great question that has everyone stumped or one that is so simple it doesn't dignify an answer.

I'm guessing the latter...
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    It works

The attached file was originally posted by Mark Eatherton. I think it does a nice job of clarifying what is really important.

I think you need to define "it works". Not following the rules will shorten the life of components and cause circulators to underperform. Air entrapment, ghost flows and cavitation are other issues. Technically the system is "working", it still is not good practice.

Sometimes posts just don't catch anyone's attention. There was nothing wrong with your question,

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    SWEI
  • Spock
    Good Info...

Thanks Carl. I appreciate the response and the diagram.
This discussion has been closed.