Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need advice!

BrianO
BrianO Member Posts: 12
I'm thinking about getting into the plumbing and heating business. As a kid, I worked with my dad who is a contractor, but never went through a systematic study of the basics needed to have a good foundation of knowledge. I can still do things, but need advice. Where can I go to learn what I need while I'm still working a job to support myself. I have a few days a week to discipline myself for study. Are there good on-line programs or any part-time opportunities available where I can get the basics through on the job training? I appreciate your advice on this! Thanks in advance to all who have time to respond!

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Work

Brian, click the Resources Tab on teh top of the page, and click on jobs to see if anyone is looking for work in your area, or you can post that you are looking for work, good luck
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    If I read your posting correctly

you are presently working, is that correct?

What area of the country are you located?
  • BrianO
    Need advice!

I work 3 12 1/2hr shifts a week in an unrelated field now Tim. I like in the Hudson Valley area of N.Y. Any thoughts?
  • Tim McElwain
    Ok I connect

with who you are on the e-mail. I was hoping you might be near me as I run a training center and have a night training program that would have helped you.

Sorry nothing on line I would suggest looking around your area for a trade school or union school.

I do have manuals which can be ordered which might also be of some help. I will e-mail you a catalog.
  • BrianO
    ok I connect

Hey Tim, If you get a chance, could you email that catalog to me again?

Thanks!

Brian
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Start with getting a job

I would start with getting a job in the field, NY is real busy rite now and Im sure it is going to last through the summer for all the people who go bandaids until the weather breaks for their flooded systems...

Or if you have the money, just go open up a business and hire a licensed master mechanical employee, drop a couple bucks on advertising, say $30K on a decent vehicle, and $20K on tools, and bang you are in business... Or hire a master pipe fitter and sub out your refrigeration and sheet metal work.... Have your new employee teach you... Start with really competitive prices take all the work no matter how small, take pictures and get people to like your work, learn fast and you will be on your way... As long as you keep your licenced employee on the books you can work with him while you are going to classes..

I would want at least $100K to start with, a gmc utility body $30K, tools {ridgid 300, hand tools, eff. tester, torches, benders, scales, gauges, pex tools, thermal imager, meters, ect} $20K, materials and supplies $10k {I bought a small box of fittings today about 5 lbs and cost me $280} then a year of insurance $3000, business licence fees $2500, advertising $15K, that would leave you about $20K for payroll and the rest of the needs... {you can get a good licenced guy for around $1500 per week}...

Or Ill sell you my business for $850K with a 5 year non compete ;) Just bought 4 new trucks and a cat backhoe before the close of 2012, I haven't had to finance a piece of equipment for the last 6 years, so there is money to be made... But you have to do good work and be consistent... I started with 1 used truck 1 employee {related to me} and my experience from working for another company {service manager for 7 years} and grew fast, now I bid jobs that cost more than my first house and have more free time than I ever did in my life...
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    Online classes

You can take a look at alot of online classes where you can learn at your free time.

Here's one to consider at no charge http://flopro.taco-hvac.com/flopro_u.html

There are 10 different classes on a variety of topics

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Taco

Taco training(and trainers) is the best!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Tim McElwain
    Brian, I have over 5,000

e-mail addresses I am not sure what yours is so e-mail me at gastc@cox.net
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Training

U.A Plumbers and Steamfitters apprenticeship training, there are a number of locals in NY
    RJ
This discussion has been closed.