Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas heating exhaust extremely loud

Options
Arturo
Arturo Member Posts: 1
The vent starts to vibrate and makes a loud noise when it kicks in. It did not do this before. I added a picture of the vent. Can you please advice me on what's possibly causing this?

Thanks,

Art

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    I do not recognize the device on your vent

can you get a name and some numbers from it. If it is a motorized device it could be the motor is going. I would definitely have a professional take a look at it.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Draft enducer

It is a draft enducer or power vent. You need to get a pro quickly!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thingy:

It looks like a Tjernlund SS-1 Side Shot  Power venter to me.

The fan squirrel cage is probably failing and needs to be replaced.

With oil, they get dirty and out of balance. With gas, if they condense, the vanes on the fan rot off. The whole thing is replaceable if it a SS-1 Side Shot.

It isn't installed properly if it is because there are straps that hook into the collar and connect to the boiler exhaust with a big stainless steel clamp.

http://www.tjernlund.com/Tjernlund_8500000.pdf
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Take off

The inspaction cover and you will most likly find the problem. Did anyone get the 2nd picture to open?
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,035
    edited January 2013
    Options
    what vent pressure?

If this is a SideShot, which is listed for sidewall positive vent pressure but not for adaptation to conventional atmospheric venting, then it is illegal and must be shut down at once. Positive vent pressure venting must be listed to UL 1738. Single walled vent connector is not listed, and gooping the joints and seams is not a recognized modification to meet the listing requirement by the Codes. You can power vent by a device attached on the outside wall or roof termination that sucks the fumes out and is interlocked with the gas controls.

Also, it appears the vent connector reduces, which is not allowed on atmospheric venting. That elbow is not properly supported and is actually sagging downhill, which is not allowed.
  • icesailor
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I don't understand:

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Here is what the SS-2 says and the SS-1 is the same:

It draws air from outside. It creates draft and draws exhaust gasses from the appliance. It creates negative draft pressure to the appliance. The excess fan pressure, while drawing cool air with the hotter exhaust and cools it, and the only positive pressure is inside the plenum. It has a barometric switch switch to stop the burner if there is positive draft in the intake and it is interlocked with the burner.

What else is it supposed to do, and why is it illegal. There are an awful lot of them installed.

The issue was that it is noisey. ts usually the fan being dirty and out of balance.
  • Bob Harper
    Options
    mis-application

This is not a sidewall venting application. Look at the installation instructions and literature of a SideShot, as in shooting out the side--not up a chimney. It power vents out a sidewall. Since it is listed as a unit, the entire assembly including the termination are fine. However, adapting this unit to traditional single wall unlisted vent connector is the problem. 
  • icesailor
    Options
    Mis-applications:

It would be a misapplication if it was shoved in a chimney. I don't see a chimney in the photo. Nor do I see the bracket that holds the terminus.

I'm only responding on what it was, a Tjernlund SS1 Side Shot. Not the application.
  • Bob Harper
    Options
    venting

The SideShot uses its own proprietary listed vent duct--not single walled galvanized steel vent connector, which is not listed nor approved for positive vent pressure. This unit is adapted to unlisted single walled pipe and that is the misapplication. We can't see the chimney but it certainly is not venting directly through a wall using Tjerlund's duct kit. 
  • icesailor
    Options
    I agree:

I agree but what I was responding to was that someone didn't know what the appliance was/is. I recognized it as a SS1. We never got into what was wrong with it. And like I said before, I didn't see the Terminus or any chimney. But the complaint was that it was loud. I've replaced more than one terminus on them when they fell apart. I've cleaned the fan wheel to stop the out of balance.

There was never a discussion about why it was noisy, just that it was a misapplication. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I still can't see the other photo and I/we can't see the outside termination.

There are no limits to non-read instructions and how someone does an install because they know so much, they don't need to read any stinkin' instructions. The same mindset that says that they don't need a digital combustion analyzer, they've been looking at flames for (Fill in the years) and they can set it better than any infernal machine. Then, they go on to tell some antecdotal experience where one was screwed upi by using an analyzer.  Where I work, when the SS-2's came out, a few non-readers installed SS-2's on new installs where the appliance was way over rated for the application. They should have used an SS1. There was no explaining to them why they weren't working so they declared them to be junk and switched to Field SW-4H's.

They're smart, we're not.
This discussion has been closed.