Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it a Heat pump or and AC only

I ran across this system in a newer building the other day and got stumped.

The equipment that I was looking at had a label that that said it was a water source heat pump.

It was in a large multi story residential building. The equipment was in a closet. There was one blower fan , one compressor, two coils (one evaporator and the other a heating coil.)

Basically the equipment used water from a boiler to heat the coil when an actuator was opened by a call for heat.

The AC used a water source and the compressor.

The refrigeration system had no reversing valve.

I was wondering if I missed something or what. I thought that a heat pump by definition did heating and cooling by the use of the refrigerant systems reversing valve.

This system looked like an AC only with another coil for heating from the boiler source.

Is this a heat Pump?

Comments

• John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    Butchered?

Could have been a heat pump at one time and someone yanked the reversing valve?

Heat pumps are common in larger office buildings and condos using loop water. Rare to have hot water backup heat. Usually electric or none. But if they neutered the heating capability, then it would need something unless a totally interior zone with no heat needs.
  • Vallejodave
    Vallejodave Member Posts: 4
    Not butchered

Thanks for the response John. This is a newer system with no modifications. Its located in San Francisco so the need for auxiliary or backup heat is not really needed .
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Water source heat pumps.

They are often times used in larger office areas.  Most utilize cooling towers and have a boilers for the heating season where the towers will be bypassed for winter so the hot water can be utilized for not only the HP, but for perimeter base.  There is literally a dozen application variations that can use the same water medium.  Your system may be a heat pump, but since you stated that you don't have a rev. valve.  It may be out of sight, but if you have an additional hw coil, this may be the way they heat the space in your air handler.  Are you sure there is no rv? 

Mike T.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Water source heat pumps.

They are often times used in larger office areas.  Most utilize cooling towers and have a boilers for the heating season where the towers will be bypassed for winter so the hot water can be utilized for not only the HP, but for perimeter base.  There is literally a dozen application variations that can use the same water medium.  Your system may be a heat pump, but since you stated that you don't have a rev. valve.  It may be out of sight, but if you have an additional hw coil, this may be the way they heat the space in your air handler.  Are you sure there is no rv? 

Mike T.
  • John Mills_5
    Model #?

More info from the unit? 
  • Vallejodave
    Heres the Model and Serial

Mammoth

Model D019RHN

Serial H081934888
  • Vallejodave
    no valve

Yea no reversing valve.
  • John Mills_5
    How big?

Didn't see any Mammoth water source heat pumps starting with D. Their V-Cube is a large unit that can do a floor or floors of a commercial building. Starting with about 10 tons I believe.

It could be cooling only with water cooled condenser & hot water coil for heat.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Heat pump must have a

Reversing valve or it ain't a heat pump. Put your hand on the discharge line [ unit not running of course ] and follow it. The first place it has to go is the reversing valve it if goes anywhere else its not a heat pump.
This discussion has been closed.