Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combo heating system question

JP4120
JP4120 Member Posts: 4
I have an Energy Kinetics system 2000 about 12 years old and was using my heat pump for a/c only until it died at about 29 years old. Purchase an Amana heat pump (15 SEER) and was advised to use the heat pump for heat and use the system 2000 as aux heat at about 34/35 degrees.  Any opinions on this? I guess the system 2000 is more comfortable, but need to factor in oil prices a bit...

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    That's What...

I'd recommend for our area, but you have to factor in fuel costs and climate for you area.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • JP4120
    S/W Pa location

the installer of the heat pump recommended the aux heat (oil fired boiler) to come on around 33/34. I assume heat pump is probably a bit cheaper to run than oil since heating oil is around $3.50/gallon. Not a slam dunk though because system 2000 is pretty efficient.

I was just wondering if anyone had a differing opinion or other rule of thumb to follow.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    no rule of thumb needed

http://www.eia.gov/neic/experts/heatcalc.xls will help a lot.  Put in the costs of electricity and oil, the efficiency of the EK, and the EER or COP for the heat pump.
  • JP4120
    numbers look lower than expected for electric

I locked in 7.5 cents per KWT with a PECO competitor for generation charges

so with 7.5 cents and HSPF of 9 = $8.33 per million BTU

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fuel oil of $3.69/gallon (last paid) using 85% AFUE (efficiency is per EK2000 - could be exaggerated) - = $30.70 per million BTU

guess thats why I should keep the aux heat (which pulls on the oil at 33/34 degrees, if I set it lower than that the electric coil heat pump emergency heat may kick on..
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    cost per kWH

Divide the total bill by the usage - those 'additional charges' can add up.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Exactly

The transmission costs can equal the electricity costs and then the seven cents ends up costing you a total of 14 cents per KWH.

Make sure you understand it before you jump.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JP4120
    good point...thx

transmission and distribution charges for PECO are about another 7 cents per KWT right now....so need to include that in my comparison.
This discussion has been closed.