Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water cooled

on a water cooled condensor , what should the the delta t be between the supply and return pipe.....or do they vary at different tonnage??
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    "Delta T"

In general I will shoot for 10 to 15*f.  It will of course depend on the water temp, city, cooling tower, well etc...  If you look at your head pressure it will ultimately give you that perfect temp.  If I remember correctly, cw on your regulator will increase head pressure (less water).  You can play with it and achieve what ever you are looking for.

Merry Christmas;

Mike T.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    "Delta T"

In general I will shoot for 10 to 15*f.  It will of course depend on the water temp, city, cooling tower, well etc...  If you look at your head pressure it will ultimately give you that perfect temp.  If I remember correctly, cw on your regulator will increase head pressure (less water).  You can play with it and achieve what ever you are looking for.

Merry Christmas;

Mike T.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    The Target

The target number for a water-cooled condenser delta-T is 10 degrees when connected to a cooling tower (recirculating system) or 20 degrees for a wastewater system. Wastewater systems, for the most part, are not commonly used and, in many jurisdictions, are illegal.

The flow rate of water through the condenser should be approximately 3 gallons per minute per ton, so a 10-ton water-cooled air conditioning system will have about 30 gpm of water moving through the condenser coil. For wastewater systems, the flow rate of water is about 1.5 gpm per ton.

Hope this helps.
    Eugene
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    GPM

Eugene or anybody else who can answer this.....how do i determine GPM? for example if its a 10 ton system with a cooling tower and the delta t is 10f its 30 GPM....and if the delta t is 20f i would be assuming its 15 GPM???
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Use the Pump Curve

You should be able to easily obtain the "pump curve" for the pump on the system. The pump curve tells you how much water, in gpm, the pump will move in response to the "feet of head" that the pump can overcome. Most systems will have permanently installed pressure gauges on the system and the "head" can be directly obtained from the pressure difference across the pump. For every 1 psi across the pump, we get 2.31 feet of head. So, if we have 20 psi across a pump, we will have 46.2 feet of head.

Now, armed with this piece of information and your pump curve, you look up the head on the chart to obtain for flow rate in gallons per minute.

Viola!

Enjoy!
    Eugene
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited December 2012
    Depends!

If you are looking for normal do as Proff Silberstein said. If you are looking "after the fact", you go by the what ever head press you are going to maintaine. Kinda like what Empire said only different.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Re: flow rate, alternate way to determine flow

Condensor mfrs will give you a pressure drop rating on condensor. Usually will have peets plugs on inlet and outlet to condensor. Check pd across condensor and you can find what flow rate is. 
This discussion has been closed.